Re: Doesn't everyone know this stuff? was Re: Jiffy Lube screwed my

in rec.autos.tech,

Ummm. Let's see. I am driving across a railroad crossing and my engine >loses oil pressure. I'd rather have a wrecked engine than get hit by >a train. Get it now? > >Every car on the road has a fantastic onboard computer, some just have >really poor programming and I/O.

I think there is a BIG differance between finishing a railroad crossing, and driving the rest of the way accross town to the shop you normaly visit.

~Brian

Reply to
<not

Yes, I couldn't agree more. But in the right circumstances, I'd be happy to spend 1 brand new engine to move me only 100 feet and save my life. Sort of like War Emergency Power on an airplane. But I am well aware of the tradeoff.

My guess is that the majority of drivers probably think it is OK to drive some distance with the oil light on. Their understanding of how their car's engine works is essentially zero. This sort of ignorance is well illustrated by the hugely successful marketing of high octane gas as having more 'pep' or as being some sort of 'treat' for your engine.

Reply to
Mark Olson

While I agree 100% that you should shut the motor down immediately if the light goes on, you do have dice to roll. You can "hope" it's the sender or wiring and get to a good place to park it until you can diagnose it. You are gambling though. In some situations, stopping "as soon as possible" involves driving some distance as it isn't possible to safely stop just anywhere. I've been lucky so far as I have never actually lost oil pressure and the light has always been due to a faulty sender or wiring. Maintaining your own car and checking fluids often (I do at every fillup), minimizes the risk, but there is a risk. If you lose the gamble, the cost is a new motor...

Reply to
bobby

No dice to roll bud.

You shut the engine down period!

Then you check the oil.

I have only had the light come on once. I decided to drive long enough to move over to the right shoulder instead of shutting down immediately and using the available left shoulder on a divided highway.

Bam! One tossed rod.

Mike

Mike Romain