Re: EGR on 1991 safari 4.3L vortec ALSO wndow motor

> ok... i had the engine cover off and wanted to decarbonize my egr valve..

> > because the truck ides rough after long trips on the highway... especially > > this weekend i used 89 octane ethanol blend gas.. i think that was a bad > > idea.. (normally 87 octane regular gas) > > > > but when i took off the 2 torx screws i could hardly get the unit to come > > out of the intake.. barely 2mm and i was prying on the ears with a > > screwdriver and trying to rotate it out.. but no avail.. i didnt want to > > break it so i put it back... > > > > any easier way to remove this stupid thing?? > > > > You probly are getting hung up on something,take a closer look at the > egr and its surroundings.The egr's in 91 just pop out,meaning you > shouldnt have to pry it out.Once you free the valve from its mating > surface all you have to to is pull it out and sometimes just negotiate > it around a bit.

ok thanks.... but all i can see holding it in are two torx screws.... is it possible to twist it out of the intake? or is it keyed into something inside?

Reply to
CRAZY

That makes sense.Would also explain why hes only able to move it 2 mil.Been a while since I last saw one.Good memory Neil.

Reply to
Woody

ok you guys were right.. the motor is the 4.3l vortec in 1992 chassis (not the throttle body injection)

the egr is at the front of the engine.. and its electronic (not vacuum) as a technicion pointed out to me... any special way to clean this one instead of buying a new one... it doesnt act up often just sometimes after towing on the highway for a few hours..

Reply to
CRAZY

Go here:

The part you want is # 2-1357

If you e-mail Tomco, they'll help you find a vendor in your area that stocks their product.

Cleaning is as simple as removing the valve, pushing the pintle open with a pocket screwdriver allowing the carbon chunks to fall out. Re-installing the valve with the 2-1357 kleen-screen gasket will prevent re-occurances.

Reply to
Neil Nelson