Re: Electric BMW 325i

"Bill" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net:

Electric BMW 325i... > >
> 3-001cc4c03286.html > >

I guess it's no longer an "i" then . One can't help but wonder how the transmission would work differently with just changing the motor as the author seems to think.

Reply to
chuckcar

Interesting article.

The change is a bit pricy - $75.000 - but interesting.

The cost of driving - close to $0 - is also interesting.

The price of conversion will eventually come down and the cost of oil is going up all the time. New all electrical cars also coming down in price.

It shows that this alternative is already here and coming on a broad front.

The only thing lacking is production capacity.

It will take years to convert the masses.

Reply to
Bjorn

Bjorn wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@i31g2000yqm.googlegroups.com:

And then there's the pollution caused by electrical generation (far less than automotive gasoline engines) and the toxic waste from the production of batteries and quite possibly rare earth magnets in the motors. One thing I always found interesting was that so few solar power promoters realize just how "dirty" the production of GaAs solar cells is.

Reply to
chuckcar

One can't help but wonder how

The trans works the same gas or electric, but on an EV you dont need to use the clutch to take off from a stop. HTH Ben

Reply to
ben91932

ben91932 wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@v6g2000prd.googlegroups.com:

Really? Why would that be? You're still dealing with the torque. Unless you have far lower power, it would still be a problem.

Reply to
chuckcar

ben91932 wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@v6g2000prd.googlegroups.com:

Ok, badly worded. What *is* true is that not using the clutch "properly" would strain on the motor causing it to heat up. Resistance increases with heat. This would lead to more heat from the resistance itself and would be bad for the motor. That's assuming that the strain on the clutch wasn't more severe. And further, this strain would be the result of *very* hard driving, not anything near normal use.

Reply to
chuckcar

In message , chuckcar writes

There is nothing to stop having the electric motor drive the road wheels directly. All it needs is thyristor control to save precious juice and forced ventilation if used under load for an extended period of time, bit lit a thermostatically controlled fan.

Reply to
Clive

On Aug 17, 2:51 am, chuckcar wrote: What *is* true is that not using the clutch "properly"

In theory.. On all the EV's I've driven this isnt an issue at all. You are absolutely correct that very low speed/high load operation is hard on cummutated motors. When you accelerate from a stop so little time is spent at super low speeds that heat buildup isnt consequential. There is absolutely no need to use the clutch for take off, as electric motors do not need to idle. Many conversions delete the clutch altogether and couple the engine directly to the tranny input shaft. The upside is less rotating weight and complexity, the downside is synchro wear.. but most ev's use only

2nd and 3rd gears, so a minimum of shifting is necessary. My last EV had no clutch and the one I'm building now will still have a clutch and flywheel, but it will never be disengaged. HTH Ben
Reply to
ben91932

There are a good quality PWM controllers on the market that work well. Curtis, Cafe Electric and a bunch of others .

and

I have worked with GE, Advanced DC and Prestolite series wound DC motors. All of these have built in fans. I had to put external forced cooling on the Prestolite, as it was a bit undersized and overworked. Heat with the others has never been an issue. Ben

Reply to
ben91932

Some things never change. The Prestolite starters of the '60s at least as used in Studebaker V-8s were far inferior to the earlier Delco ones.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel