Re: Got Car Inspected, now brakes pull to right

A little bit of grease on the left rotor will make it pull to the right....

I would try some brake cleaner spray, then find a different shop.

Mike

Lecher9000 wrote:

> Hi, > > Today I had my 88 GTA inspected. The mech did the usual checking of the > suspension, brakes, etc, then someone took it out for a test drive. He came > back and said the car pulled to the right during braking, and they would have > to do some brake work, to pass inspection. I then drove it myself, and yes, it > was pulling to the right, during braking. But either I had not noticed it > before, or they did something to it to make it pull. > > The hood was never up during the inspection. The mech had the left front > wheel off, and the right rear wheel off. > > Could the mech have screwed something up while checking the brakes ? > > When I asked them why it suddenly started today, when it wasn't doing it > before, they had no answer for me, other than well, it could be a clogged hose, > or air in the lines, or a stuck caliper. But they didn't admit they screwed > anything up to make it pull to the right. > > My car has wandered a little bit in the past during braking, but it would go > left and right, not just to the right. > > I told them I would "get back to them", and drove the car home. When home, all > four wheels were hot, since i had been testing the brakes a lot, so it seems > all four brakes are being applied. > > Is there a classic dirty trick to make a car pull to one side during braking ? > > Paranoid
Reply to
Mike Romain

Just curious as to what state you are in. I live in Texas and have never had them take anything off (wheels, etc.). They look under the hood to verify smog equipment is in place and test drive to verify it stops (supposedly within a specified distance and straight), and check lights, horn, wipers, but that's it.

bb

Lecher9000 wrote:

Reply to
bobby

One thing to check during normal during is if one wheel is hotter than another. This would signify a sticking brake or problem. If you can pull the front wheels off, look at the rotors for ridges or other abnormal wear marks. See if the brake pads look the same thickness on both sides. They should look the same left to right. If, not you probably have a problem. Also, look for traces of brake fluid leaking from the callipers or wheel cylinders. You did also check that all your tires were evenly inflated?

Good luck.

BOB

Reply to
BOB URZ

I'm in Pa. This mech is the ONLY mech in Pa who insists on test driving the car. I go this mech because he allows my patch on the muffler, whereas the other shops fail it for the patch.

Reply to
Lecher9000

I'm also in PA. In fact, I instruct inspection mechanics, as well as having had a PA inspection license for too many years to count.

Your mention of the hood never being opened for inspection sent up a red flag for me. Right away we know it's a bogus state inspection.

Now, you complain because he allows your car past with a muffler patch (STRICTLY against state law) yet insists on a test drive (as REQUIRED by state law).

You CHOOSE this mechanic because you KNOW he's won't follow the law and WON'T do a stand up legal inspection, yet complain when you think he's a crook? YOU PICKED HIM BECAUSE HE BREAKS THE LAW!!!!

I can't decide who's the bigger bozo.

Reply to
Art Welling