Re: How much does it cost to change timing chain on olds V6 3.8L ? what else to replace ?

I am interested to find out how much does it cost to replace a timing

>chain on an Olds with V6 3.8L engine. I have an 1988 Olds Cutlass >Ciera that need the timing chain replaced. Also what else that you >replace beside timing chain ? Timing Gear ? > >I have asked around (dealers) and it cost $6-700 around here >(Kentucky). I just want to make sure I am not being rip-off. This is >very expensive, is this normal ? > >Thanks >Chris

If you have the 3.8L engine, the cam sprocket is encapsulated in nylon or a similar compound. Whe this coating begins to break down and come off, the engine will rattle like a bucket of bolts. At this point, the cam may jump a tooth or two so that it does not run and may even damage the valves. I don't recall if this is an "innterference" engine. It is not a bad jod if you have the tools and wherewithall to do the job. I have done a couple of 3.8L's and would advise that you have the oil pump rebuilt at the same time, replace the cam position sensor and install a new water pump. You will be money ahead in the long run if you intend to keep the car. I also recommend that you use an all metal replacement timing set. The only reason the nylon was ever used was to reduce noise. You will notice a faint whine fromt he timing chain at higher RPM's with the all metal set - it does not bother me.

Reply to
lugnut

David J and Lynne J Shepherd