Re: LED Replacements for 1156 & 1157

The faster rise time of LEDs is indeed nifty. No doubt about it. But it

> doesn't mean the wafer-of-LEDs-on-a-bulb-base "retrofits" are safe. > > DS

______________ And the LED-1157s I bought for my car fit so loose, they'd lose contact whenever I closed the trunklid or a door! Whoever dimensioned the damn things in the factory had no concept of tolerances.

-Chris

Reply to
ChrisCoaster

No law against extraneous marks - it could well say "HI MOM" or "I LOVE OSAMA". Dan's pointed this out about six dozen times before. :}

However, the non-certified/non-approved equipment should be clearly designated as being for off road use only, for liability reasons.

Reply to
Ricardo

There's no such thing as "off road use only" equipment under US Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards. It's a popular but incorrect belief that labelling equipment that does not comply with whatever applicable standards "FOR OFF ROAD USE ONLY" exempts the manufacturer (importer, distributor, installer) from liability and/or legal consequences for importing/distributing/installing it.

US law: If an item of motor vehicle equipment is physically capable of being installed on a motor vehicle originally certified by the manufacturer as complying with FMVSS, then the item itself must also comply with FMVSS.

DS

Reply to
Daniel Stern Lighting

What of E-code lamps labeled "for motorcycle use only" (but perfectly capable of operation in a car)?

Reply to
Matthew Russotto

Motorcycle headlamps aren't legal for use in cars. That's why US law requires motorcycle headlamps that do not comply with passenger car headlamp requirements but are physically capable of being installed in a passenger car to have the word "MOTORCYCLE" moulded into the lens in letters not less than 3mm tall.

DS

Reply to
Daniel Stern Lighting

Hmmm... this sounds like a slippery slope here. How then can E-code sealed beam replacements be legally sold in the US? Yes, I know they're legal for motorcycles, but they can also be bolted into passenger cars with "2-round" headlight setups with NO MODS at all. Sounds like a law that really doesn't have any teeth, because you know the bike guys would howl if they were no longer legally able to buy replacement headlights.

nate

(flagrant scofflaw)

Reply to
Nate Nagel

They can't.

DS

Reply to
Daniel Stern Lighting

Often when I look at these, I notice that 2/3 of the center brake light is non-functional.

Reply to
dizzy

Sure they can (or at least are) - I've seen lots of them sold by reputable companies with the disclaimer "check local laws" or "for motorcycle use only."

I'm not busting your balls, really just pointing out the inanity of our current lighting regulations (not that you really needed a reminder)

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

*snicker*.... now there's a deterrant.
Reply to
Matthew Russotto
4> US law: If an item of motor vehicle equipment is physically capable of 4> being installed on a motor vehicle originally certified by the 4> manufacturer as complying with FMVSS, then the item itself must also 4> comply with FMVSS.

3> How then can E-code sealed beam replacements be legally sold in the US?

2> They can't.

Sorry, no. The question was "How can they be LEGALLY sold in the US?". The answer is that they cannot LEGALLY be sold in the US. Lots of illegal vehicle equipment is illegally sold.

Yes, or "Off Road Use Only". None of which changes the fact they're illegal to import, introduce into interstate commerce, distribute or sell.

If you're a vehicle owner, if you can get your hands on whatever item of non-DOT vehicle equipment, then the Feds can't stop you installing it, because vehicles in use and their owners are not regulated by Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards, but by State laws.

DS

Reply to
Daniel Stern Lighting