Re: Looking to set up non-factory DRLs

I have a cunning plan...

> > I want to add some lights to the front air dam on my Scion, and have them > do two things: First is a DRL type set up, where they are on when the > engine is running, and the other is to use them for extra turn signals. > > I am going to accomplish this by using a Valley trailer light adapter; > it's powered so it provides 5 amps per circuit, and I want to use 35 watt > H3s for this. I plan to set it up so the stock turn signals feed the > "Turn" inputs on the Valley box, and use the "STOP" signal to keep the > lights on for DRLs. This way I can also have them OFF at night when the > headlights are on, and just the turn signals will function. > > The one thing I am having trouble with is coming up with a circuit that > will feed 12V to a realy that will turn on the "Stop" function, and I wan t > a delay of ~10 seconds. Should be simple, and I can get something for > ~$14, but I'm a cheep @$$! > > Need some ideas... > > I am also going to use a non-powered version of the adapter to make the > turn signals double as rear fog lights, after almost getting rear ended b y > a couple clowns who thought driving 60MPH in a dense, foggy rain on a two > lane with ~30 foot visibility was a Smart Idea. > > -- > Ronald Reagan didn't spend his whole first term blaming Jimmy Carter.

Do you have a state safety inspection in your area? I'm guessing that

35W H3s probably exceed the max brightness spec for directionals and maybe even also for DRLs. I also really, really don't like the concept of sharing function of turn signal and DRL on the same filament. Also, if you use them as turn signals, they will be required to be amber, not yellow - there's a difference, and I could see an inspector failing you for that no matter how well-intentioned your modifications are.

You can probably find an aftermarket DRL module that will simply run your low beams at reduced brightness to take care of that... for the rear fog I would probably just add one of the European hang under the bumper deals. What model Scion do you have and is there a space on the rear that you could put something like that? Or is there a version that's sold in ECE countries that already has a rear fog integrated into the rear light clusters and can you mod your lights to work like that? (did that on both a VW Scirocco and Corrado by simply using unused segments of the US-spec taillights and running a wire to the back. A2 Golf I would have had to purchase ECE taillights as the US taillight housings were actually a different part and didn't have the rear fog segment present. I think US-spec A2 Jetta lights were moddable though.)

nate

Reply to
N8N

On Aug 10, 6:00 pm, N8N wrote: [snip]

1 I wonder how efficient rear foggies are as tailgating-idiot repellents.
  1. Don't they get dirty all the time and in no time reducing their utility to zero?

I see these from time to time and am getting curious

Reply to
AD

doing that will get you much more aggressively tailgated by someone with high beams on. fortunately, most cars here don't have fog lights so you haven't had the opportunity to find out.

Reply to
jim beam