Re: Lowering steering column, Scion tC

One more 'idea' about my tC; the wheel does not go down far enough for my

> liking. On most Toyotas I have had, the steering column is held to the > dashboard support by a bracket that bolts into the support. I would like > to add some shims to this to get the wheel down another inch or so. > > I really liked the wheel adjustment the way it is set up in my Supra and > the old Celica GTS I had. The wheel itself moved on a universal joint > behind the covers. The tC and my Corolla GTS move the wheel by moving the > whole column. In the Cleica and the Supra, I can set the wheel in my lap > if I want.

Go for it!

Reply to
m6onz5a

Duh.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

What more needed to be said? You sat in the car before buying it. You knew what you were getting.

Duh.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Moving the entire column is probably less expensive than adding another u-joint to the column since the adjustability comes from the joint on the opposite side of the firewall. It is also possible that the designers are trying to keep the steering wheel angle within an arc where the airbag will be more effective or that moving the column too low can cause the u-joint outside the firewall to bind.

Reply to
Ray O

Yup, a binding steering shaft u-joint probably adds unnecessary excitement to the driving experience ;-)

Reply to
Ray O