Re: Modeling clay as a substitute for "clay bars" for auto detailing?

I would think that polymer clay would leave a film that might be

> difficult to remove. Other modeling clays have an oil base that > again would leave a film unless the water on the car would prevent > this. The polymer clay might slide over the soapy finish without > leaving a film but it's not cheap either though not as costly as > your 4oz bar.. Maybe you ought to try small quantites of different > clays and do some tests. A tack cloth won't work?

I appreciate the quick feedback.

I guess the first question to ask is what automotive "clay bars" are made out of. My online research shows that most are natural clay based (that's what they say they are), while a couple are synthetic (polymer?) For the natural clay bars, I have no idea if they are water-based or oil-based or ???. Details are certainly sparse.

Are there any modeling clays used today which are natural clay, or has everyone switched to polymer clays?

Experimentation is probably needed with various brands of modeling clays for use as clay bars. What brands are out there to try?

(What I'd really like to know is who manufactures clay bars for the various companies which market clay bars to the auto detailing community, such as Mothers, Meguiars, etc., and from that determine if some modeling clays are essentially equivalent.)

Anyone here (either in the automotive or modeling clay groups), who can clarify all of this?

Thanks.

Jon Noring

Reply to
Jon Noring