Re: Odd acceleration problem

"MC" wrote: (1995 Dodge Caravan, 140K miles)

Poor acceleration, especially when restarting with warm engine after having turned it off for a few minutes, but also soon after starting with cold engine. Most noticeable during first few minutes of driving. Clears up with prolonged driving, especially at higher speeds.

By "poor acceleration" I mean two things. Starting off, I sometimes briefly have to push the pedal a good bit farther down than normal in order to get up to 30 mph. Driving along in town, and to a lesser extent on the highway, there is a slight fluctuation in speed as if I were being buffeted by headwinds.

The problem has come on very gradually over more than a year; seems to come and go intermittently; and a lot of mechanical checks a year ago didn't disclose anything. Unfortunately I don't have my notes handy about what was checked then, but I can dig this up if it's needed.

Any thoughts? What should I check for? Fuel system? Transmission? Or what? Does this bode ill for the long-term reliability of the car? ____________________________________________________________________________

Sticking or Failing IAC.

Rodan.

Reply to
Rodan

check your fuel pump pressure. if its down even a little you could lack acceleration.

Reply to
boxing

Thanks to both of you who have replied so far, and I look forward to further discussion. I'll let you know what I find out.

Reply to
MC