Re: Prepping: Using a vehicle's fuel pump to transfer gasoline...

>Indeed, ergo "gas friendly".... >Explosion proof pumps, wiring, switches can really break the bank, so the >alternative would be a manual xsfer pump, which is not so bad. >OR, buy an automotive fuel pump (gas friendly by definition), and install >that in the container itself, with remote switching, etc. If these fuel >pumps are suitable as volume pumps. >Even better, as it's battery based, will function better during DoomsDay.... >at least for a while.... lol

There are still some perfectly good manual piston pumps out there that are specifically designed for gasoline transfer. Your local auto parts store may have one.

Siphoning from some modern cars is a pain because of the baffles in the tank, but it's usually possible to get most of the gas out.

When I was in high school, a neighbor used a vacuum cleaner to siphon gasoline from his car's tank. Surprisingly he was uninjured although the car was a total loss.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

"Existential Angst" wrote in news:5103db2e$0$24780$ snipped-for-privacy@cv.net:

No, and you proly aren't smart enough to do it anyway.

Reply to
JoeBro

The electric fuel pump in my Ford delivers 1 liter per minute.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Don't even think about it. The fuel pump is one of the most expensive components on FI cars. I wouldn't even consider it for a car with a carb. Not worth the trouble. Just get one of these.

A few squeezes and you get a safe gravity flow rate, with no dangers of a pump using electricity and higher pressure. Maybe a gallon a minute. What's the hurry? You just need to set up your receiving tank(s) on the floor, lower than the tank. Wrap a piece of tape on the hose so you know how deep to put it in the vehicle tank to prevent running it dry. I've used a few of these, and you might have try one with a smaller diameter hose to get it to snake down the vehicle fill tube. Some have hoses too fat to work down the tube. They're cheap enough to try a few of them. If you can't get one to work, just buy one or two 5-gallon jugs. There's no real lugging them around. You fill them a couple feet from your trunk, and drive your car where the trunk is close to the transfer point. Too many downsides to consider using the vehicles purposefully designed fuel system to do a simple transfer. You're not running a filling station.

Reply to
Vic Smith

When I see the use of "proly" it always makes me think that someone isn't far beyond a "binky"...

Reply to
George

Yeah, apparently your panties are so bunched up about it, you could proly just wear them as a thong. Then you can shimmy a bit for JoeBro.

Reply to
Existential Angst

connect a gas line to wherever your sending the gasoline to the schrader valve on most modern fuel injected vehcles and turn key to run, the pump in your gas tank will do what its designed to and pump gasoline.

cost a length of neoprene hose and a schrader connector.

this is usually used to check fuel pump pressure at the vehicle injectors. schrader valve is under hood

in a true end of the world as we know it you use a pan and slide it under the vehicle and punch a hole in the tank.

hopefully no one will need that approach

one time my van would occasionally lose power, then be okk for days.

my mechanic connected a pressure gauge to my fuel line, the normal 100 pounds plus occasionally dropped to 15 pounds and my van stalled.....

Reply to
bob haller