Re: Question from reporter

Got rid of one car here. Mileage on it wasn't worth havin it around any more. I couldnt justify the upkeep of friggin emissions maintenance from sitting, and it was a gas hog. It wasn't a big concern but it all adds up. One less set of tags the state gets me for too.

Where I work, more people arent bothering to come in. They are "working from home". Bascially that means they are getting govt paychecks to plant plants, cut grass, run errands etc. and checking email every so often to say they are "working".

wrote: >>Hi all: I'm wondering if any of you are actually using any gas-saving >>tips? >> >>With the approach of the summer driving season, these hints on saving >>money at the pump are all over the place -- in the print media, on the >>radio and TV. You've probably heard them, stuff like, use air >>conditioning sparingly, keep tires inflated, don't let the car idle, >>common-sense things like that. >> >>But are drivers actually paying closer attention to those techniques? >>Are any of you? > > Of course. Here are some of the best gas-saving tips that you don't > see on television: > > 1. Always make sure to smoke marijuana before driving. This will give > you the sensation of driving faster than you actually are, causing > you to slow down on the highway and save gas. > > 2. The best way to save gas is not to use it in the first place. Siphon > gas from your neighbor's car in the night when he isn't looking. By > using his gas, you save your own. > > 3. Always drive the largest vehicle you can. There's no reason not to > drive > an 18-wheeler to the supermarket to pick up a six-pack. Although > heavier > vehicles may have poorer "gas mileage" numbers, this is deceptive. In > fact, the larger the vehicle is, the better miles per gallon per pound > it > gets. > > 4. Avoid reformulated gasolines. Always use 104 octane racing gasoline > because > it's better. It says so on the pump. > > I hope these hints have been helpful to you. > --scott > -- > "C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."
Reply to
norm

Well, I am Canadian, but drive 2 Jeeps. They get 23 and 25 mpg highway with about 18 overall and I watch my routes to save fuel. We are allowed to turn right on a red light up here so I normally plan to stop at places in a right turn only loop. That way I avoid the left turn waits which can be long in a busy city.

I also try to plan one trip to get everything so I only have to warm it up once.

I keep my tires a 'little' on the hard side, but prefer the better traction a little softer gives with the wider footprint vs hard and an extra mpg or so. They get checked regularly.

I also try to drive my engines in their 'sweet spot' or the torque area of the rpm. For instance my 86 Jeep CJ7 which has the aerodynamics of a brick, 'likes' 2300 rpm which is about 65 mph in 4th gear. It has tons of punch and needs only a little twitch on the gas pedal to adjust for hills and wind. This gives me a nice consistent 11 L/100 KM or 23 mpg. If I drive this vehicle in overdrive or 5th at 65 mph, the rpm drop to

1700 or so and I need to use the full pedal travel to adjust for hills and wind. Basically it lugs the engine. This drops my mileage down to about 17 mpg....

Mike

Mike Romain

Mike Romain wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@sympatico.ca:

I thought Quebec was the last place in North America that didn't allow turns on a red light (as a blanket policy).

Reply to
TeGGeR®

I believe you are correct. I have only gone straight through....

Mike

Reply to
Mike Romain