Re: replace broken camshaft (GM 3.4L V6)

"DL" wrote

Hi, I have a 97 Chevy Venture with a broken camshaft. Does anyone know if > there is a way to replace the camshaft without removing the engine from the > vehicle ? > If that is not possible, can someone tell me how high I will have to jack up > the vehicle for engine removal. I am thinking about dropping the engine > onto a hydraulic jack, pump up the vehicle, and then slide the engine out.

It's not possible to remove the camshaft with the engine in the vehicle. Plus, my experience with broken camshafts on these engines is that you will find so much damage, it's not worth trying to salvage the engine. Usually, the camshaft bearings have seized to the camshaft, which is what causes the breakage. Often the cam bearings spin in the block, which renders the block useless

This usually means that you have had an extended lack of maintenance, or an extended period of coolant being mixed into the oil. Big surprise on these engines.

Depending on how low you can get the subframe before the lift the body off the engine, you probably still have to lift the body about 4 feet.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Thank you for your reply. Yes indeed, coolant has entered the engine. I am now in debate with GM regarding warranty repair. The engine failed without any warning. The only thing is the low coolant light turned on a while back, and coolant was added. Oil seemed normal during last oil change. It has only 36K miles on the odometer. I can still start the engine, but it will stumble and stall right after. Any chance that the block not damaged ? Cost to replace engine is $4000 - $5000. Any way to lift vehicle 4 ft off the ground that a "do-it-yourself' er can ?

Reply to
DL

Oil looks quite normal. Would you see any oil sludge on the dip stick and the oil filler cap ?

Reply to
DL

"DL" wrote

Usually you will see it as a thin layer of brown gunk on the inside surfaces of the engine. Inside the valve cover, for instance.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

I don't know of any way to do much of anything on that vehicle/engine without pulling it out. It's really wedged in there. To get at the camshaft, I think you'll need to take the engine out.

I don't think this a realistic job for anyone without a lift. In order to get the engine out, you'll need to adjust the lift and a floor/transmission jack to take the the weight off the engine mounts. Then raise the car a little and lower the floor jack so they separate out and then you just adjust the height of the lift to allow everything to drop down safely. I just don't think jack stands are going to be tall enough or provide the flexibility you'll want.

I'd guesstimate (and it's a guess) you'd need about 3 feet of clearance at the bottom to let the engine "Drop-down". I can't really imagine trying this at home. If anyone does, please send pictures, I'd like to see it.

__________________ Note: To reply, replace the word 'spam' embedded in return address with 'mail'. N38.6 W121.4

Reply to
Barry S.