Re: Replacing Calipers-- in pairs?

As a tech with 20+ years under the gun, I usually advise replacing calipers and rotors in pairs. It's like this...... Brakes work in pairs by the axle and if they are uneven for ANY reason they tend to pull. Especially when you need them most, like in a panic stop.

That said, things can get pricey and most people will USUALLY be fine replacing only one caliper at a time. The problem is, if you don't win you find out at the worst time, like when you are sliding sideways at the guardrail after trying to avoid a semi passing in your lane.

Cheap rotors Vs expensive ones. Quality will always pay for itself. You can take a chance, but don't scream if the cheap ones warp fast, or are crooked right out of the box.

Reply to
Art Welling

Always replace disc brake calipers in pairs.

Cheap rotors are OK unless they are from a thirld world country. I've used ones from Canada and Italy that were cheap and good. Don't buy rotors from Taiwan, China, etc.

Reply to
Childfree Scott

Too true. I have seen OEM Mercedes rotors from the dealer that cost 1/2 as much as aftermarket junk. On the other hand, I have seen Chinese rotors from NAPA that are really cheap, but come pre-warped right out of the box. Experience will tell.

As I recall the original post was about rear disc calipers. Many vehicles have the parking brake mechanism build into those and are a BEAR to rebuild, if it's possible at all. I've rebuilt hundreds of calipers over the years, but rear disc with E-brakes built in I don't waste my time on. Lifes too short! (lol)

Reply to
Art Welling

Well in this case rotors from Mazda are $92+tax each vs $23+tax each. For that price I can get 4 of the cheap ones for the same price as a single OEM piece! I compared the two aftermarket ones (the "good" vs the "cheap") and they look identical; one is manufactured in China, the other in Brazil. The only difference I noticed is one comes with a 6 month vs a 1 yr warranty. Once all is said and done I decided to go with the cheaper after market ones.

In this case I'm lucky enough to fall into the latter category-- the parking break and hydrolics tie into a single caliper. I went to a few shops and only one of them mentioned rebuilding them and they said its not even worth thinking it; all just said right off the bat to replace them. So off I went and bought the freckin' calipers for $230 each. All in all this is gonna cost over $610 in parts alone. At least I think I can handle putting them on myself and save a few hundred on labour... I hope!

Remind me not to get a Mazda again! :P

-Dan

Reply to
DS

| |I plan to put new pads/rotors on to both back wheels anyway, so the question |is, do I have to replace the calipers in pairs?

usually a good idea. especially if you are in the rust belt.

|there that big of a quality difference between the cheap rotors ($25 each vs |$80 each)? I don't plan to keep the car for much more than another year or |two and even if I do need to replace the rotors again, it still seems that I |can replace them twice with the cheap ones for almost the same as once for |the pricy ones.

If these were on the front and you drove the car hard, I'd suggest the better rotors. Rear disks are so lightly stressed that I'd have no problem using a cheaper rotor. They don't get hot enough to warp in normal street driving. Guys that race cars like yours really have to work hard to get the rear disks to get hot enough to do their share of the work. Biggest problem with rear brakes is they corrode from not being used enough. Get the low-buck rotors.

Oh yeah, every parts guy knows before you walk in that you will be "selling the car soon, so give me the cheapest thing you got" :)

Reply to
Rex B

Why? You got 10 years out of them! That ain't bad, and neither are the prices. Emanuel

Reply to
Emanuel Brown

from NAPA that are really cheap, but come pre-warped right out of the box.

Exactly what were you expecting from Chinese rotors? Never ever put thirld world country parts in your car! The good cheap rotors come from Canada.

Reply to
Childfree Scott