Re: Roll Over Risk: Consumer Reports warns against 2010 Lexus GX460

Kinda makes you wonder what kind of junk they're building these days. >

> > "Consumer Reports, the widely respected arbiter of quality and > reliability, urged customers not to buy the 2010 Lexus GX460 because > it may roll over in certain situations based on tests by the > magazine's automotive test drivers. > > This is the first time the magazine has issued a "don't buy" > recommendation on any Toyota, Lexus or Scion vehicle." > >

Actually it makes me wonder what moron thinks ANY SUV should be tested the same way as a standard automobile.

Normally an SUV will have a higher ride height, taller tires with taller sidewalls, more suspension travel and heavier parts overall because of it's intended use. As such it ends up with a higher center of gravity. care to guess what happens when you take a vehicle with a high COG through a course designed to test handling in a car? You turn over. VERY predictable and was the same crap that killed the CJ series of Jeeps. Morons who bought them for the looks and drove them like they were Corvettes.

It's like saying that McDonalds, Burger King, Wendy's, or any other restaurant are responsible for obesity. Instead of looking at the 400 pound person sitting there with three Big Macs, two super orders of fries, a couple milk shakes and an apple pie and saying, GEE maybe they are FAT because they eat 4 times the food they need and don't exercise.

(and for anyone obese who thinks I'm mean. I am FAT myself and am working to lose it. That means you will still see me in McDonalds, BUT I will be eating a salad, ONE regular burger, and unsweetened tea. And I will be walking 4-5 miles a day as well as using my new weight machine to lose some fat.)

Reply to
Steve W.

The problem is that they are sold as standard automobiles, and people drive them as if they were standard automobiles. And then they are surprised when they don't act like standard automobiles.

The thing is, this happens at least once a day on the Washington Beltway. So it might be worth testing for on the track as part of a vehicle evaluation.

Well, yes. But that's something people need to be warned about, and if Consumer's Reports is coming out and saying "you can't drive this like a car and get away with it," that seems like a good thing and not a bad one, right?

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

So what part of SUV says that it is a "normal car" is it the required stickers on the visor which warn the owner that the vehicle has a high center of gravity and that it has a danger of roll over? Or maybe the big warning to the same effect that is part of the owners manual?

That would be part of natural selection in that area.... Maybe the people should learn to SLOW DOWN (and yes I have driven the inner and outer loops, in cars, trucks, and in tractor trailers)

NO. What needs to happen is that the idiots who insist on NOT understanding the vehicle they are driving need to be taken off the road. Same with the ones who like to read the paper/book, yap on the phone or change their clothes, or have sex while driving.

Reply to
Steve W.

snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote in news:hq58gb$so7$ snipped-for-privacy@panix2.panix.com:

And...logic does not intrude?

"They" don't notice a very serious difference from cars the very first time "they" go around a corner?

"They" don't notice a very serious difference the very first time "they" have to swerve to avoid debris in the road?

Then "they" are abundant and prominent indicators why modern times are not always better than past times.

"They" need to win the Darwin award.

Reply to
Tegger

"Steve W." wrote in news:hq5et3$5dl$ snipped-for-privacy@speranza.aioe.org:

Oh, is that the same big yellow warning that the amazingly dysfunctional American tort system forced automakers to install?

Is that the same big yellow warning that appears right next to the other big yellow one that warns you that there is a bomb in the dashboard that will kill you and your kids unless you stay far away from it? And I'm not even going to mention all those other big yellow warnings, to the same effect, that litter modern Owner's Manuals like leaves in the fall.

No. What needs to happen is that the idiots who insist on NOT understanding the vehicle they are driving need to suffer the consequences of their actions and not have the amazingly dysfunctional tort system allow them to make others pay for their actions instead. Remember that you're talking about 0.0001% of drivers. Modern tort and legislation penalize 99.9999% of drivers so that the lawyers for the 0.0001% can hit the punitive jackpot.

Reply to
Tegger

"What went through your head when you realized you weren't driving a standard automobile?"

"Uhh.... a big piece of steel guard rail..."

--Scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote in news:hq58gb$so7$ snipped-for-privacy@panix2.panix.com:

Oh, come on. This reminds me of the Top Gear episode of Clarkson sitting in the Viper (SRT-10) and reading off the safety labels. Half of them talk about using the back seats for kids and such. How many seats in a Viper?

If someone is stupid enough to drive beyond the point where the suspension goes on a normal car, they get what they deserve: a big repair bill, possbly some scratches and a bigger insurance premium.

Reply to
chuckcar

Most people buy and use SUVs as station wagons. They should bring back station wagons, and SUVs would most likely die out. They are headed that way with 'crossovers', but they need to get them back down to ground level like regular cars.

Reply to
aemeijers

The smart people have put their life savings in yellow ink futures - you should give it some thought.

Well limiting what lawyers are allowed to earn would address that problem quickly. Unfortunately the lawyers have the majority of Americans convinced that would go against free market economics. And we all know we can't have that. As for the rest of your crusade against the US constitutional right to jury trials for civil matters - go piss on your own constitution.

-jim

Reply to
jim

aemeijers wrote in news:namdnf7k5PnQClvWnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Indeed. BTW I refuse to use the term "crossover" I see no significant difference between this lexus and a 15-20 year old Cherokee.

Reply to
chuckcar