Re: Speed Sensor Problem - Please Help!

I have posted a similar question on here before, and sorry for not

> sending out thanks to all of those who contributed to the post and > tried to help with my question...but here is my updated problem > > I am about to give up on my car ever working again...if you have any > idea what the problem with my car might be, please help! Thanks in > advance for all of your input...here is my problem: > > I have a 99 Mercury Cougar and this summer, while driving on the > interstate, the speedometer dropped to zero and the transmission > would > no longer shift properly...I hooked up a code reader and it told me > that my vehicle speed sensor was malfunctioning...I took my car to a > shop and had them install a new VSS...the car worked fine for a > couple > of hours, but then the same problem started happening - the > speedometer would not work (it would only work "sometimes"...very > sporadic) and the car would shift extremely hard...so I decided that > my car was in fact still broken and I took it to another shop in town > (a more reputable one)...after their investigative work, they were > not > able to find any problems with the VSS wiring (which I told them to > check out) and they cleaned off all the connections...the only > problem > they found was that the VSS was not completely installed by the first > shop I took it to (I guess it was not correctly locked into > place)...so they finished the installation...their only other > suggestion was that it might be some other major electrical problem > with my car involving my car's computer???...anyway, after having the > VSS "correctly" installed, my car now works slightly better, and by > slightly I mean that the speedometer and transmission now > consistently > DO NOT WORK the first 10+ minutes of driving, but one the car gets > sufficiently warm (? - just a guess) the speedometer kicks up and > then > follows the transmission shifting perfectly...this now happens very > consistently - if I drive my car long enough, everything works fine. > > > So there is my problem, do any of you have any suggestions on how to > fix this? I have seriously looked at everything I could on the > internet and I don't really have the $$ to take it to the local ford > dealership and give them a blank check to tear my car apart...I am so > frustrated that I would sell my car right now if I could get any > money > out of it...thanks again in advance for all of your help! > >
Reply to
Woody

I have already done that...I've been to 2 mechanics...1 simply put in a new speed sensor...I told the second one what the symptoms were and he checked the wiring of the sensor and other various things and came to the conclusion that he was not able to tell what it was without running more tests...that might not actually give any answers

So, does anyone have any advice other than "take it to a good mechanic"??? I have done that. I am looking for someone that has either had a problem like this before or some sort of "expert" that just understands this stuff.

Reply to
cmoney-law

You'll need a sensor simulator:

If you want to spend about $200.00, then by all means, go to an auto parts store, and buy an OTC sensor simulator and tester.

Set it to wheel speed sensor, then take the plug off of the VSS, and put the two probes in the plug. Raise the volume like knob, and viola. If the speedometer works, you see the sensor is either bad, or the gear in the transmission is loose.

If it doesn't work, then it's either the >> Lets see. You took it to a shop and told them to change thespeedsensorand

Reply to
Refinish King