Re: Spinner question

Just saw a Tahoe pull up next to me with those new 20" aluminum

> wheels... spinners, Sprewells, whatever you want to call them, you know > what I'm talking about. Anyway, I still think they're tacky, but they > are kind of captivating. Ended up watching them spin through a long > light just because I'm a guy and anything that's shiny, made of a big > hunk of metal, and has a precision bearing can't be all bad, right? :) > > My question is this. One of the rear spinners on this truck was > obviously not balanced because it hadn't spun up that much and I watched > it slowly spin to a stop after a few minutes. After it stopped > spinning, it had a distinct pendulum action going on. I can't imagine > this would be good for NVH or road feel... if I were to put these on a > vehicle I own (not likely, I'm thinking my next purchase may be a set of > the AR "Salt Flats" wheels for my '62 'cause they kinda look like old > Halibrands) I would want them to run smooth especially considering the > exorbitant cost. So my question is this - how *does* one balance > these? I'm guessing the wheel/tire assembly is balanced with the > spinner off, and then the spinner should be balanced separately - does > anyone actually do this?

It's rice, so I doubt any of the obnoxious twits would care about a little vibration so long as they are loud, shrill and blinding. I'd imagine that would be the proper way to balance it though. That reminds me... I gotta get to the junk yard soon. My '67 sounds like a 4 banger nowadays as I cracked one of the exhaust manifolds (oops). 4 cyl are loud, the other 4 are quiet. That and I gotta get a power steering bracket, as my 'strongarm' power steering is getting old. I wouldn't mind it if I had a proper manual steering gearbox, but I don't, nor do I have one of them bypass valve thingies to convert it properly. Oh well, this car is pretty much a beater at this point. Drive it 'till it don't go no more then drop a 408W in my '68 and cruise in style. That'll be the day.

Cory

Reply to
Cory Dunkle

That isn't close minded because you aren't stating an opinion or offering a new idea. You're saying that they're ignorant I think that's a better choice of words.

Close-minded means that you cannot accept new ideas. I think regardless of the validity of the statement or idea, I agree that they are close minded.

You're right, they are negligible in regard to the weight of the car, but we're not talking about the weight of the car, we're talking about the weight of the wheel/hub. Now it's not as negligible. The gyroscopic effect doesn't cause the force against the car, it's against the hub/wheel assembly; that's what it's attached to.

I saw them again today. An SUV drove by with them. The spinners were very slowly turning but the car was accellerating from stop as it made a left hand turn. I thought to myself, "Hmm.. kinda cool but not the desired effect I would want for my car.."

Agreed.

Reply to
Bruce Chang

You missed the total effect. You start the truck (it's usually a truck or SUV) moving and the spinners stay still for a while. When you stop, they keep spinning for a while. The latter is the cool effect desired.

If I were doing it, I would build in a ratchet...

---------------------------------------------------------------------- | Just Another Internet Wise Guy Macon, GA USA |

Another Wise Guy - Macon, GA USA

Approximately 9/7/03 01:59, Another Wise Guy - Macon, GA USA uttered for posterity:

Wonder how hard it would be to add a reversing gear, so as the tire turns forward, the spinner turns backward and vice versa. Probably do this only at low speeds as you couldn't see it at higher ones anyway.

Reply to
Lon Stowell

The problem is that there is no fixed point to attach the gear to. Thus the entire assembly would rotate forward with the wheel.

How about a low-friction bearing and airodynamics that cause it to spin backwards?

Reply to
Another Wise Guy - Macon, GA USA

Approximately 9/7/03 09:16, Another Wise Guy - Macon, GA USA uttered for posterity:

You could use an internal dangling weight as that fixed point. Somewhat similar to the rev counters found on truck axles but larger since it would need to be heavier than the cover in order to handle turning it backwards. Probably easier to just put the motor on the wheel and gear the cover tho.

Or perhaps concentric sections where some spin forwards and some spin backwards, kinda like an aircraft turbine.

Reply to
Lon Stowell