Re: Time-Serts thread repair tools to lend?

You might want to call a local machine shop, preferably a member of

> AERA Engine Rebuilder's Assoc. Would be better if it's a "speed shop" > with experienced racers. They should vacuum the metal shavings out > afterwards. I doubt if you can get away with less than $80 however. > >
> > On the left side a red box "find an AERA member shop in your area". > > > > >> Time-Serts spark plug inserts look like the best solution to my seized spark >> plugs problem. They are a true bushing, not a "coil spring" like some others >> (coil types have a tendency to unscrew with the plug sometimes). The inserts >> are ~$5 each. >> >> The down side: upwards of $200 for the install tool kit (tap, reamer, >> installer).

Also check with some of the parts stores. Many have the kits and will loan you the tools with you buying the inserts you need. You will want to do ALL the plugs at once to avoid needing the kit again. Also if you follow the directions in the kit you can easily DIY. Basically you will use a shop vac to blow air UP through the engine, block the intake so that the only place the air can go is through the plug hole itself. Then you run the tap in and the shavings "should" blow up around the tap, not back into the engine. Now you use a SMALL nozzle on the vac to make SURE all the pieces came out. Then you finish the install. Then move to the next hole. Repeat.... Once you have them all done crank the engine over some with the plugs out to double check that you blew out all the crap. Now install the plugs with some anti seize and enjoy.

Now if you have access to a high flow air supply use it to blow through the engine. It will stop more crap than a shop vac.

Reply to
Steve W.