Re: Top ten all american sports cars

Back around 1952 (When I was a kid, about ten years old) I was riding with my dad and we stopped at a gas station.There was a Crosley station wagon car at the gas station.I asked my dad if he would buy that car for me. There really is ''something'' about quirky little cars. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Sheesh, you guys are BOTH missing the best product that Studebaker ever made...

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

The Avanti? It kicks arse, but it's not a real sports car. Same could be said for the Golden Hawk, Speedster, Super Hawk etc. Studebaker never made a car after 1953 that wasn't based on either their generic sedan chassis (including the Lark and Avanti) or the C/K body chassis (coupe/hardtop, Speedster, Hawk, GT Hawk etc.)

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

The Hawk?

Reply to
clifto

The Laser was Chrysler-badged. The Dodge Daytona was of course the same body with a smaller engine. Dunno if they sold the thing under the Plymouth name.

My experience with these cars is that everything on them that was made in Japan just keeps running and running, and everything made in America falls off or breaks.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Wrong "Laser." You're thinking of the Dodge Daytona / Chrysler Laser (which they may have spelled 'Lazer') from the 80s, which was 100% Detroit. 2.2 (or 2.5L) Chrysler 4-cylinder power, though later I think they weighted it down with the POS Mitsubishi 3.0 v6 like they did the LeBaron. Awsome little cars, the turbo versions went like stink. There was even an IROC R/T version of the Daytona with the 2.2L 220HP DOHC turbo, which was incredibly fast. Sub 12 second fast. Unfortunately, the lifespan of the timing belt on that Lotus-head version of the engine was about 10k miles. It was basically a demostration engine that was put in limited production for enthusiasts. Very collectable cars now.

He was talkng about the Eagle Talon/PLYMOUTH Laser/ Mitsushitti Eclipse from the 1990s, which regardless of badge was 100% Mitsubishi junk.

Reply to
Steve

Seats up front with a sort of a seat in back for a few sacks of groceries, not really a front and rear seat car though.How about a rumble seat roadster car? cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

What about the Saleen S7 or the Ford GT? Both highly desirable cars in my book.

Reply to
Thomas Tornblom

Don't forget the Crosley Hotshot sports car! To stretch the definition a bit you might also include the King Midget.

A more conventional design but still rare would be the AMX two-seater built by AMC from 1968 to 1970.

Reply to
Roger Blake