Re: Torque temperature compensation value?

I wouldn't worry about it.

Planning to replace the ball joints on my Camry when the parts arrive, > and have noticed in Southern California recently the weather has been > over 100 degrees F. > Usually, when I re torque the lug nuts on my factory aluminum wheels > apx. 30 days after removing them, it seems if I originally torqued them > during cold weather, the need to re tighten is less. > Since for the ball joints I'll be removing the axle nut among others, > -- this sets the wheel bearing pre load, and just wondering if the > parts are already "warm" at "room temperature" whether I'll actually be > under tightening them for use over the coming years, when temperatures > could be apx. 50 degrees lower in the winters. > Should I be adding some percentage compensation value to the torque > figures if the metals are "warm" when fastening them? > I work in an attached garage, but it doesn't cool down as much as usual > with these high daytime temperatures, even waiting over night and > starting in the morning. >
Reply to
Scott Buchanan

IMO, no, don't worry about it. If you were dealing with something HIGHLY technical in nature, and if the temperature excursions were quite large, then you could be well advised to adjust the tightening procedure to fit the application, but the application you are working on isn't rocket mechanics.

Reply to
<HLS

Not really. The inner races of the hub bearing assembly butt up against each other and the tolerances to which hub the bearing is made determine the preload. Once they touch further tightening cannot bring them any closer. In theory, extreme over-tightening could distort the inner races and change operating clearances but this is more a theoretical consideration than a real life problem. Be advised that this FWD setup is very different from traditional adjustable front wheel bearings -- the type with a "castle" washer and a cotter pin.

None of this is that critical. If you didn't use a torque wrench at all but had a reasonable feel for the fastener tightness you would be fine.

Don

Don