Re: Toyota/Lexus Runaway Fix Not Limited to Floor Mats (!)

john wrote in

> news: snipped-for-privacy@a39g2000pre.googlegroups.com: > >> I've wondered why only US Toyota/Lexus are having this problem and >> being recalled. It's like only US engines were sludging up. >> >> =============== >> "It will not just be the floor mat," Lyons said, declining to specify >> what the fix might be. He said engineering teams in Japan and North >> America are working on it. >> =============== >> >> Full article at: >>
>> a+seeks++vehicle+fix++in+recall+of+3.8M+vehicles >> >> > > > I can think of one thing that they might want to try that should be fairly > easy to implement on cars with throttle-by-wire: > > If the gas and brake both end up being activated AT THE SAME TIME, the > ECM/PCM would reduce the throttle opening to the same degree as there was > pressure on the brake pedal (or brake pedal arm movement). > > > Simple, no? >

Not bad, except that now we're in the mode of layering on yet more complexity to make a layer of unnecessary complexity safe/work. At some point, the right answer is to throw it all off and start over. I think the

2 questions that haven't been asked are

- "what really is the point of rubber floor mats protecting carpeted floor mats protecting carpet which is protecting the actual floor?"

- "what does drive by wire make better?"

I'm remembering now the '55 Olds with the rubber floor covering that didn't need any mats until it wore through (which it never did & was easily hosed off besides) & the '63 Olds with the carpeting that didn't need mats until it wore through (which it never did).

Reply to
E. Meyer

If you lived in a snowy/excessively wet climate, you'd know.

That's like asking "what does an ECU make better?"

Ask Boeing what fly-by-wire makes better. Better yet, ask the pilot next time you fly.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

I like the full catch-all type rubber mats (really plastic) that cover the entire floor area. They make it easy to remove all the grass, mud, dog s**t etc. that I track into the car. You don't need to leave the carpet mats under them though (although I sometimes do for the extra sound deadening. I've never had a problem with mats jamming the throttle. However if I did, I think I can handle the problem.

Last experience I had like a hung throttle was when I was farming. The clutch throw-out bearing failed as I was coming to the end of a row. Since I was under load, I couldn't just bump the shift lever into neutral. However, I could pull the fuel shut off. I only went about 10 feet further than normal. Of course then I had to do mickey mouse stuff to get the tractor to the shop (shut it off, put it in gear, start it up, move, shut it down, repeat as necessary to get the equipment detached, I actually drop it to the dealer for repairs).

Why wouldn't it? I am sure you imagine cases where the electronics might jam the throttle open, but there are plenty of cases where mechaical throttle can be jammed open as well.

I honestly do not think fly by wire was the casue of this recall. It is strictly related to mat retention.

I purchased a set of Toyota Carpet Mats from the local Toyota dealer for my SO's RAV4, They included the holes to interface with the mat retainers, but they didn't give me the retainers to screw into the floor. In retrospect, this seems negligent. I got similar mats from a Ford dealer for a Ford, and they included a little thing you screwed into the existing carpet that held the mat in place. I guess Ford has better lawyers....or at least are trying harder to cover their collective rears. My younger Sister got a RAV4 that came from the dealer with mats. Her mats had the little retainers in the floor. So bettween 2007 and 2008, either Toyota got smarter, or the dealer knew to add the retainers.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Our 2006 Corolla came with retainers on the factory floor mats.

Jack j

Reply to
Retired VIP

My 95 Caprice had the factory hooks in teh carpet and matching holes in the floor mats. So does my 99 Mustang

Reply to
Ashton Crusher