re.won't start

thank you all for trying to help.i'll get to the point.four times in the last 6/wks every,7-10 days,my car (ford explorer sport 97 two doors) doing the Brrrr.... noise,strong,like it going to start but do not.(no cranck noise).i'll give it a rest for a day or so and it'll start.no jump start. so far when ever it started the first time,i didn't have problems the whole day. the battery is fine,hook ups,new fuel pump,20000 on fuel filter.(not

30000).i take good care of it with all the necessary service on time.can't duplicate the problem at the shop,so far. i talked to the mechanic about few things that was suggested here and we both agree that its not the problem. there is something with the fuel delivery.he talked about computer signal. thanks again.Y.D
Reply to
dreyfuss

"dreyfuss" wrote: (97 Ford Explorer Sport)

won't start. ______________________________________________________

Does the engine actually crank when you turn the switch to start? If not, do you hear anything - clicking or whatever? If the engine cranks, does it sound normal other than the engine does not start? Can you hear the fuel pump hum for a couple of seconds after you turn the switch to "on"? Keep in mind that "start" can mean any one of several things as in nothing happens, you can only hear clicking, the starter turns or cranks the engine but, it does not start or run. ______________________________________________________

"dreyfuss" wrote: (97 Ford Explorer Sport)

I'll be specific: Sometimes when I try to start, it makes a strong Brrrr.... noise, like it's going to start but does not. There is no crank noise. The next day it will start normally, and there will be no more problems the rest of the day. _____________________________________________________

Aaaaaaaaaargh!

DOES THE ENGINE ROTATE WHEN YOU TURN THE KEY TO "START"?

Rodan.

Reply to
Rodan

yes,every thing sound normal,when i turn to start.something missing with the fuel delivery for the last kick for it to start.thanks.Y.D

Reply to
dreyfuss

Your description is not good enough to tell whether there is a problem with the starting electrical circuit. The starter can make a brrrr... noise and not be doing what it is supposed to do.

About 100 years ago they used to make cars where the driver needed to get out of the car and insert a "crank" into the front of the car and manually rotate the engine with the crank handle in order to get it started. This is similar to pulling the rope on a push lawnmower to get the engine rotating and it was called "cranking" the engine. Later they invented batteries and starters to do the job, but the terminology remained it is still refereed to as "cranking" when the starter rotates the engine as part of the starting procedure.

From your description it is not clear whether the starter is cranking the engine like it is designed to or if it is just making a buzzing noise with the engine not rotating.

-jim

The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000Newsgroups

jim

I'm STILL confused. WTF is the engine DOING? You say it makes a "brrrrr" (which could be anything from the loud chatter of a starter relay to the quiet hum of the electric fuel pump- its not descriptive at all) but no crank sound (which tells me the engine is NOT turning. Then you say yes the engine turns and there's a fuel delivery problem.

When the "problem" happens, does the starter actually rotate the engine? If NOT, then it could be something as simple as dirty battery terminals causing the starter relay to chatter, making a "brrr" noise. If the engine is rotating, then its not the battery.

Reply to
Steve

i'm sorry,not familiar with the terminology. when i turn the key to start every thing sound normal.but it doesn't start. sound like few here working at shops. with problem like that,do you need that things that pull out codes.does it need to be done at the shop or can i talked to someone to come to my place with a code reader? sorry,i know nothing about fixing cars or shop operation..Y.D

Reply to
dreyfuss