Rear main seal leaking

on a Ford 351W in an F100 pickup.

35k miles on a complete rebuild. Engine runs great other than that leak.

I'm running up against a deadline that will prevent me from doing the planned removal of the engine to repair the problem. But, I need my truck to keep running.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I could do to get this oil leak under control short of removing the engine to replace the seal?

Thanks in advance.

Roy, who is aware that any bandaid solution would only be temporary.

Reply to
Roy Shroyer

It would help if you said what year your truck was built, but I'd guess it's old enough to have a two piece rear main seal which means you don't need to pull the engine. Just pull the oil pan and the rear main cap. Bob

Reply to
Bob

Is it a big leak or a little leak? I always look at oil leaks in terms of "how much?".

If you're losing a quart every week, what does that add up to? At $1.50 a quart, it's $6 a month. We spend more than that on beer! ;-)

You can do your own math.

It might be worthwhile to let it go forever.

Or not if it's really bad.

Andy

Reply to
andyandlynn

Thanks for the replies. The truck is an '82. The engine is a late 70's

351W. This truck was too good of a deal to pass up, even with the oil leak. The entire drivetrain was rebuilt in 2001 buy an good friend who LOVES Fords and really did a great job on the restoration. Just the pesky oil leak from the rear mainseal.

Was hoping for a temp. band-aid type solution. Its not a huge leak, probably a 1/2 quart per tankful or month whichever comes first. I don't drive it much, but I will be using it to pull a lightweight trailer from Louisiana to North Carolina next month and didnt want to have to carry a case of oil with me :)

I've already replaced belts, air filter, installed a trailer hitch, greased the front end, etc etc. It runs great and I know it will do the work. That oil leak is just a PITA.

Roy

Reply to
Roy Shroyer

Bob,

Sorry about that. Its a late 70's 351W in an 82 F100 body. So it does have a 2 piece rear main seal. I can fix it without pulling the motor?

I've rebuilt several Chevy small blocks with two piece seals and have never had one bust a leak like this? Is this a Ford problem? Faulty install?

Sorry, I just don;t know much about Ford smallblocks specifically, or whether they're known for that.

I was hoping for a bandaid type remedy to get me through a long drive, towing a trailer, from Louisiana to North Carolina next month. I've prepped the truck mechanically and I'm confident it will make the trip. Its got a trans cooler, C6 trans, 9" rear end, etc etc. RV cam, headers, free-flowing exhaust. Its got plenty of torque and is very reliable. I got a screaming deal on it (truck was restored mechanically about 5 years ago and has 35k miles on it since then). Thanks for your input.

Roy

Reply to
Roy Shroyer

Yup

Pretty hard to say why it leaks without seeing the seal, but if you've rebuilt engines before you can handle this easy enough.

I don't know of any Band-Aid fixes for a rear main, but it sounds like a good tow rig. You could just as well repair it right and be done with it. Bob

Reply to
Bob

Yo Andy and the other readers.

There are times when the money is NOT the issue!!! We live and it costs money. To die means we don't spend a cent any longer. Got it??

Sometimes the nagging feeling that it can be fixed is worth stopping - by fixing it.

then of course is the issue of making a mess. what gives ANYONE the right to pollute this planet? Entitled to do it?? If your answer is "yes" to that then you are among those of us doomed to less petroleum in our future - AND to a higher cost for what is spindled away.

Been there, done that. Fix it as several have suggested. If you cannot afford fixing it, then take a close look at what you are doing......

Me? I drive the DAK on week ends and use public transpo (and a bicycle) during the week....

No, I don't wear a hair-vest (hair to the inside) nor do I smear myself with ashes..

For your information , gas costs about $3.50/gal (using US measures and currency) here in Canada at $1.03/liter.

Ken Canada

Reply to
Ken Pisichko