Rear wheel drive.

"Just keep going"? Most of them didnt

Reply to
hls

There was indeed such a heater. I had a gasoline heater in my SAAB which could be programmed to come on in the morning before I went to work. It also had electrically heated seats, and was a pleasure to drive in very cold weather, on snow, ice, or rain.

Reply to
hls

on early Porsche 911s there was a compartment in the luggage area for that purpose. I remember reading an anecdote by Vic Elford about being stopped and searched by customs somewhere in Europe because he was driving a 911; the officer doing the search went straight for that compartment. Apparently it was sometimes used by less than scrupulous people as a handy place to hide things that they didn't want found.

nate

Reply to
N8N

Mon, 10 Jan 2011 19:56:51 -0600 AMuzi wrote: |>>>> snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote |>>>>> This morning I happened to click on the weather channel.I almost never |>>>>> click on that channel.That guy said, If your car is rear wheel drive, |>>>>> stay home! | |>>> Tegger wrote: |>>>> No way. RWD is way more fun that FWD on snowy roads. Just remember to |>>>> take |>>>> a case of beer to help pass the time once you land in the ditch. | |>> Nate Nagel wrote: |>>> So much misinformation out there. best snow car I ever had was my |>>> Porsche 944 with Dunlop Winter Sports. Now that may not be the best car |>>> overall in snow but tires make more difference than what end's wheels |>>> are driven; and given decent weight dist and high polar moment I'd |>>> prefer RWD thanks. | |> AMuzi wrote: |>> A Corvair with winter tires will just keep going. Around the |>> wrecked super duper automatic this and electronic that. | | | m6onz5a wrote: |> Yeah the Corvair is great in the snow but the heater sucks unless you |> have a gas heater. :) | | I do have the 'instant heat and lots of it' units installed. | | Nice in the cold, but more importantly your engine runs much | cooler on hot days or at speed without all the lower baffles. | | Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Please provide a pointer/link so I can get one.

Thanks,

Vic

----------------------------------------------------------------- google groups are blocked cpy_pste_t_te_cmmand_lne_fr_eail_adress perl -le "print scalar reverse qq/moc.liamg\100egral.ta.resu/"

me at

I don't think anyone will sell you a new one anymore for liability reasons.

used to be "Parts Place" would sell you a box full of used gas heater parts for an old VW if you asked them nicely but there were all sorts of legal disclaimers involved. Not sure if they still do that or not.

nate

Reply to
N8N

Mine came in a '66 purple Monza I bought for a girlfriend. Never bought one new.

ebay search just now shows:

which is not the one I have but cute and hey just $114! Oh, here's the one I have:
Installs in the right front cargo space. You'll need to do some fabrication for the exhaust behind the passenger side front wheel. I used the original Corvair dash heater controls rerouted; no troubles since 1982 installation.

Removing all that sheet metal cleans up the bottom of the car nicely.

Reply to
AMuzi