Rebuild on 3800 GM block

To get moving on my 'Project Reatta' , I picked up a salvage 88-90 3.8 litre engine to rebuild as I have the time.

I had heard so much about the GM V6's gasket problems and had been looking forward to opening up my first one.

Well, although the engine was in 'good' shape in many ways, the gasket between the injection valve body and the heads was spooky. It didn't look as though water had been leaking but the gasket was definitely in degraded condition.

This was especially true around the water passages, but also some of the gasket had squeezed out into the exhaust or intake ports. This gasket, by the way, is the type where a seam of light colored gasket elastomer is molded into the black gasket body.

Anything better to use now??

I had hoped that the injector body could be lifted off in one piece after removing the bolts but found out that is wishful thinking. One of those damn bolts wont come off easily until you remove the exhaust recirculation valve and the end of the injector valve body.

Should be fun.

Reply to
HLS

The 3800 is a 90 degree engine and does not have the intake gasket problems that a 60 engine does.

Reply to
« Paul »

The problem gasket was on the later engines, not the 88-90. They used a plastic intake manifold and ran an exhaust (egr i believe) tube to close which eventually causes slight warpage and then a leak. Your

88-90 engine does not suffer from this issue. I would rebuild with quality gaskets and you will be fine for many many miles.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

Thanks all. I realize that this is not the engine with the serious problems. Nontheless, the gasket situation on this one did not look healthy.

Reply to
HLS

Agreed, it does not have the same intake gasket problems that the 60 degree V6s. It DOES have the same intake problems that the Vortec V6-8s do.

Reply to
KenG