Rebuilding an engine, Entry #2.

Well, seeing as nobody's protesting too much (not that I've seen anybody dancing in the streets, either, but...) I guess I'll go ahead and continue writing up my adventures in engine rebuilding.

A new day, and a good night's sleep, and I had some time to kill before the horses started screaming for their breakfast, so I went out and wrenched on the engine some more.

Got the rest of the bracketed-on items and/or their brackets pulled off the block, and went after lifting the head. Brackets and the toys that hung on them were kiddie-play. I coulda kept on sleeping and still gotten them off without trouble, I'm thinking.

The head was a bit more complicated - but only when considered in the light that lopping the arm off at the elbow is less complicated than stitching up the gash in it instead. 10 head bolts, all dutifully stamped with numbers to indicate which hole each one came out of, and numbers stamped next to the holes so I don't get confused when I try to put it back together, and the camshaft & rocker arm assemblies were ready to come out. But first, I had to get rid of the sprocket on the end of the camshaft, and the distributor drive gear in front of it. Not too tough. A chunk of one inch dowel and a hammer, and they came right off after I pulled the retaining nut. Wired the chain to the sprocket, and figured I was ready to go. Then came the moment of truth... Attempting to physically lift the head off the block. It was stuck...

I mean *REALLY* stuck.

As in "grab a rubber mallet and beat the everlovin' bejeezus out of it, and it still ain't moving a fraction!" stuck.

Then I happened to look down into the area where the cam sprocket is sitting. Hmmm... Odd... That looks like a bolt head down there... But it's a TINY little thing? (12mm, versus the 20-something mm head bolts that I've already pulled out) Ok, slap a 12mm socket on and pull that bolt. Look for any others. There are none to be seen. OK, *NOW* we're ready to lift the head, right? Grab on and lift. Nothing doing.

Break out the rubber mallet again, and give it another thorough drubbing. Try to lift again. Aha! That was motion! I'm sure of it!!! Lift one end while tapping with the mallet, and it becomes obvious that the head gasket is gluing everything together. Lift, tap, lift, tap, lift, tap, and finally, the whole shebang is off, with the head gasket stuck to the head, rather than remaining behind on the block. Not a problem... I wanted to be able to get a look at it anyway, due to the overheating and oil burning the car displayed on the trip up from L.A.

Guess what?

Head gasket was *SHOT*. I mean *REALLY* shot. Blown between #1 and #2 cylinders, and again between #3 and #4, and obviously had been for quite some time - there was easily a half inch gap between the remaining ends of the section that was supposed to be between #1 and #2, and almost an inch of obviously burned away material between #3 and #4. Several of the water-gallery holes in the gasket (and to a lesser extent, on the top of the block) are either filled solid with "coolant crunge", or close enough that it's doubtful there was much of any coolant flow through them. An oil gallery hole in the gasket is blocked on the block side of the gasket, and there's a clearly visible "trail" where it was pumping oil into the #3 cylinder, which is just chock fulla carbon and crud laying on top of the piston. Surprisingly, aside from the gasket being futzed, it looks as though there's very little wrong at this "depth" into the engine. Gotta get me a proper steel straightedge today so I can check for warping.

Guess that blown gasket goes a long way toward explaining the "doggy"-ness, oil consumption, and overheating it did when I drove it up from L.A., huh?

A visual and fingertip inspection of the cylinders shows amazingly little "ridge", and practically zero cylinder wall wear - the 60 degree crosshatch pattern of the final honing is quite clearly visible in all four cylinders, there is littel or no finger-detectable roughness or other ugliness in the cylinders, and apart from #3, carbon deposits on the piston tops are surprisingly light for what I'd expect of an engine with 128K miles on the clock. Haven't cleaned up the valves yet (Other than #3, where they've got "oily fur coats", there are just the typical minor carbon deposits on them - just enough to make it impossible to really tell anything until after they're cleaned) to see if there are any signs of problems there, but if the head is in as good a shape as the block seems to be, I'm stylin'.

Today, along with the straightedge, I'll be seeing about getting/ordering new bearing inserts for the camshaft when I go to work. The ones I found in it are fine, but since this is intended to be a "right from the ground up" rebuild, I'll change 'em out anyway.

Next episode: Stripping the stuff (fan, water pump, timing chain, etc) off the front of the block, and going deeper inside.

Whee... We're *REALLY* wrenching now! :)

Reply to
Don Bruder

Sure, go ahead, it's good reading.

Reply to
Jan Kalin

Don Bruder wrote in rec.autos.tech

Actually, I just got back in. My wife thought I was loosing it. :=)

Make sure you mike the cylinders anyway. You never know if something is bad. You won't be able to feel it, as a taper would not be enough to feel. But everything sounds good so far, other than the blown head gasket. Good luck, and it sounds like you are having fun.

Reply to
Dick C

Some pictures would be nice...

Reply to
Martik

You must've been out there dancing (or perhaps protesting? :) ) when the part where I said "By the time I'm finished, I'll probably end up doing what the racing folks call 'blueprinting' the engine." went by :) This is a "recreational/educational rebuild" - I've got zero to lose, and everything to gain from it, and I've got until the other engine blows up to accomplish it. Since the other engine is running good and strong, I'm in no kind of rush to "shortcut" the process, which means that even if something "looks OK", it's going to get disassembled, measured, cleaned, touched up, plasti-gaged, re-gasketed, repaired, replaced, adjusted, or otherwise "properly dealt with" before the whole mess goes back together again. When it's done, I want an engine that can't be distinguished from a brand new one without tearing it down and measuring for wear.

I've got high hopes :)

That's what I'm thinking, too. I would like to add that if anybody sees me post anything that indicates I've "missed" something, *PLEASE* leap in and let me know.

And for those of you (I'm sure there *MUST* be at least one of you out there, even if nobody has said anything) who don't want to see me babbling about this project, set up a killfile entry keyed on the subject line, nuking anything with "Rebuilding an engine, entry #" in the subject - I'll stick with that format/strgin in the subject to make your life a little easier.

Oh, believe me, I *AM* :) Now if I can just be certain it will *STAY* fun, I'm all set! :)

Reply to
Don Bruder

Don Bruder wrote in rec.autos.tech

Snip

Good. Actually, I just wanted to make sure that you didn't get over zealous is all.

On the usenet? Do you think that people will not step in and comment, whether they should or not?

Well, as long as you don't have to have it running in a big hurry, things like that can be fun. On the other hand, when it is your only set of wheels and you have to do it, the fun tends to leave.

Reply to
Dick C

||is a "recreational/educational rebuild" - I've got zero to lose, and ||everything to gain from it, and I've got until the other engine blows up ||to accomplish it. Since the other engine is running good and strong, I'm ||in no kind of rush to "shortcut" the process, which means that even if

of course, once the spare is completed and ready to leap into the fray, there is no way in hell the current motor will EVER fail. It's a variant of Murphy's Law, generally stated as

"The probability of failure for a given part or assembly varies as the inverse of the availability of a good replacement part/assembly".

Which is why racers carry so many spares. They aren't there to be installed on the car, but rather to ward off DNFs. Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B

I'm thinking you mis-spelled "complacent" when you typed "over zealous". :)

Yeah, you've got a point, but I wanted to put it out there specifically.

You must be referring to phenomenon of "Gee, Mom, shoveling horseshit a couple times a day while we were on vacation out west was great fun! Let's do it again sometime!" turning into "Aww, mom, do I *HAVE TO* go out and shovel more horseshit???" when a horse comes to live at the house :)

Reply to
Don Bruder

So THAT explains why they need 14 semis to haul one "outlaw midget" racer from track to track! :)

Now, would you care to expand that "DNF" acronym? (Does Not Fail? Do Not Feed? Don Needs Funds? Deliver Next Friday? Delete Needed File? Diddle Nurse Friendly? Diluted Nitro Fueled? Device Not Found? Director Needs Friends? Damage Not Fatal?)

Reply to
Don Bruder

Don Bruder wrote in rec.autos.tech

Or meant under. I was frustrated at my car. I was working on it, discovered that I almost definitely needed to buy a gasket (hadn't gotten quite that far, better get it before I tear it apart), and then dropped a screw where I couldn't get it. Had to walk to the car parts place, figure out the size of screw, buy a couple of spares, and a set of fingers to grab the one I dropped, then came back. Of course, they did not have the gasket, so the job is on hold until I find out if I need to tear into things that far, or get the gasket.

Oh yeah. Or, "Why can't we have a dog? We'll take care of it even though we live in an apartment and are never home to walk the dog"

Reply to
Dick C

DNF in racer speak = We didn't finish the F&*^*ng race because of a G&*^%mn ten cent screw!!!!, Who the F$%K is in charge of that M&^&*ER^&*^NG screw department!!!!

Or in Legalese - We believe that the opposition (please see appendix G of the rule book to determine the status and options acceded to on the basis of entries) exceeded our efforts (through no fault of our own) in regards to completing (completion is based upon the stated rules in appendix L of the aforementioned bodies Handbook, please refer to it when making enquiries) this event (we make no other comments about this event, it's location and other items regarding our entry), allegedly our driver (please turn to appendix a sub paragraph E heading 3 for the definition of driver) encountered a deficient item (this item is now in possession of our experts and will be examined by a blue ribbon panel to determine what if any course of action we should take) which made our vehicle unable to continue.

DNF in Political speak - I pulled a Perot...

In short DNF= Did Not Finish.

Oh and good luck with the rebuild. The first one is fun after that it goes downhill fast, Kinda like marriage and sex.....

Reply to
Steve W.

Good stuff, keep it coming.

Reply to