Recall information

Does anyone know where I can get FREE recall information w/o joining a club like alldata?

I'm still having problems with my 2k Pont. G.A. going through rotors to the point of wheel shimmy at highway speeds every

15k miles. This is ridiculous. 4 new sets in under 80K miles...all different brands and manufacturers etc. What is going on here?

If there is not a recall what can I do?

Thanks

MAB

Reply to
Maab

They have these sites for GM owners and after you register, recalls are listed. It also reminds you of service due.

Reply to
George

If there is a safety recall, information will be available at

NHTSA also lists TSB titles, but not the text of TSBs. Likewisw Alldata supplies the TSB Titles for free. If you get the title, you should be able to have your dealer provide the text of the TSB. I'd suggest that you register your vehicle at
and see what recallinformation they can provide. Regards,

Ed White

Maab wrote:

Reply to
C. E. White

Maybe change driving habits.....

Reply to
BillW

I don't know.

I had the same problem with a 10 year older Buick Regal with four wheel discs. The problem with this one was the truly shitto design of the adjuster mechanism for the rear discs.

The adjusters wouldn't work consistently unless you used the handbrake religiously and kept everything clean.

In your case, loafing rear brakes could also put undue stresses on the front discs.

But then, it might be something totally different.

Reply to
Larry Smith

[...]

I'd be inclined to agree with you. I appreciate all the answers but we've already examined the torque solution and not only does it not work, but it'd be a pretty dainty sytem if this happened because the lug nuts weren't torqued to within a pound or so of some spec. Besides this would have happened with just about every car I've owned..and it hasn't. Got to be better designed than that. Anyway...have torqued them to spec and low and behold...15k or so later.. same song same dance.

I have noticed though that braking hasn't been as good as it could be by driving other cars. I am indeed going to investigate the rear brake adjuster and see if the shoes are riding too far from the drum so that they're possibly not participating in the brake effort.

I do beleive that the GM bulletin lists this problem as being caused by the torque problem. Rather dissappointing since the solution doesn't work. This is why last time I bought 3D party (non GM) rotors thinking that it could possibly be bad mettalugry (sp?) in the materials..but nada...same thing.

Anyway...I'm going to check the rear brakes.

MAB

Reply to
Maab