Recommendations for good battery charger brand - mine is toast again

I just had my second Schumacher burn out on me. This last one was on a car battery overnight on the 10 amp setting (it's a 2/10/50 amp unit), and the next morning it's just dead, nothing happens on any setting. It's only 2 years old has seen light use.

I'm looking for something in the $50-70 range, something that will range from at least 2-8 amps, and will last 10 years. I definately want an anlog amp meter on it, I've seen some without (they just had a crappy LED bar graph thing). I did see one with a digital voltage read out, this would be a neat feature, but not a necessity.

Thanks,

-Ryan

Reply to
Ryan

|I just had my second Schumacher burn out on me. This last one was on |a car battery overnight on the 10 amp setting (it's a 2/10/50 amp |unit), and the next morning it's just dead, nothing happens on any |setting. It's only 2 years old has seen light use. | |I'm looking for something in the $50-70 range, something that will |range from at least 2-8 amps, and will last 10 years. I definately |want an anlog amp meter on it, I've seen some without (they just had a |crappy LED bar graph thing). I did see one with a digital voltage |read out, this would be a neat feature, but not a necessity. | |Thanks, |-Ryan

Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B

Maybe you can borrow the transformer or a fuse from a working brand in Wal-Mart, try it out for 30 days and if you don't like the new part's performance on your old charger, take it back out and return it for a full refund. Later, figure out a way to find the part. Much as I hate Wal-Mart for not donating very much to charities, destroying most domestic jobs, persuading workers too seek government healthcare aids, sometimes lying in TV adds, and etc. Hint: this is your opportunity.

Reply to
Tibur Waltson

Good news, I found out the charger is OK. I borrowed another charger to top the battery off, and when I hooked it up, it didn't work either. Checked the electric panel, everything was ok there. Then I found that the GFI outlet way down the wall had tripped!

I also found out that the dead battery had killed the alternator. So that's what I'll be spending my time doing today....

So thanks for all the responses anyway. :)

-Ryan

Reply to
Ryan