Recommended Speed Rating on Replacement Tires

I'm thinking of getting new tires for my Avalon. I like the Michelin Harmony tire, but its speed rating (Rating of T) is lower than what is recommended for the Avalon (Rating of H). I will never drive that car

130 mph, let alone 100 mph, so I don't know how important the speed rating is. I believe the T rating is for speeds up to 130 while the H is for speeds up to 140. How important is adherence to the recommended speed rating?
Reply to
zkeith

Your numbers are a bit off. Google search: tire speed rating T=118 H=130 Its very easy to drive faster than 118 mph, especially on the back roads of Texas. Get the H rated tires.

Reply to
Paul

If you never drive at at 100 mph, there is really no reason for a tire rated for 130 mph. However, a tire rated for 130 mph will be stickier and might handle better at highway speeds. It will also not last as long as a harder tire with a slower speed rating.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

I think you may be disappointed with the Harmony on the Avalon. We have a Lexus GS and recently replaced the OEM H rated tires with the Harmony and found them to be poor in traction, especially wet. I do agrees on the speed rating, only on two occasions did the Gs see over

120 mph for any duration. Best of luck ***************** Thank You snipped-for-privacy@msbx.net

To reply to this email please remove the AT after the kgs in the reply to address as shown above.

"We have only one regret at our age -

and that's all the sins we didn't commit"

Reply to
KG

There is no reason that a tire with a high speed rating has to be "sticker." It is true that tires with high speed ratings are often "high performance" tires that are sticker, but there is no reason that this has to be true. What is important for a high speed rating is that the tire has the ability to stay cool at high speed. This is achieved by a combination of rubber compound, sidewall stiffness, and tread thickness. Often high speed tries have thinner tread (not as deep) to reduce heat build up. This also can reduce tread life but not all tires are affected. I looked at 205/65R15 94H Tires available from Tire Rack. UTG Tire Life ratings vary from a low of 140 for the Bridgestone Turanza ER30 to 740 (YES over 5 times as great) for the Bridgestone Turanza Serenity and the Goodyear Assurance TripleTred in the same size "H" rated tire. Most of the 205/65R15 94H rated tires have a life rating of around 400 to 500. The 205/65R15 V rated tires (149 mph) in this size have similar tire life ratings. Tire Rack didn't list any T rated tires in this size except for snow tires and no life rating was provided for these.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

If you are buying tires in the US they should have at least an A traction rating. A tire with an AA rating will be slightly stickier.

Reply to
Mike Walsh