Remote car start via phone?

I'm looking for a way to start my car at the airport when my plane lands. If I wait until I get to the parking lot, it does not give the car enough time to warm up. Basically I am looking for a remote starter where I can call a phone number and have the car start.

There was a thread a few years ago that talked about it, but the products do not seem to be available any longer. I did find one product from Viper that looks like it can do it, but it also has GPS and a lot of other features I don't need and is over $500.

Given that you can get a pager for free and only pay $60/year, it can't be that hard to put it in your glove box and run a wire to the starter that triggers it just like the remote that is good for 800 feet.

Anyone?

--bbt

Reply to
bigbilltolbert

How long do you figure it takes for your car to "warm up"?? Where (what part of the world) are we talking about here?

Reply to
Frank Olson

I'm talking winter in Pittsburgh. It gets into the 20's in the winter and it takes about 5 minutes for the car to warm up. The garage at the airport that I park in is over 500 feet from the terminal. When I land, I could call the number and since it takes about 5 minutes to walk through the terminal to my car, it woudl be nice and toasty.

Reply to
bigbilltolbert

Auto Command did make a unit, Design Tech. They did make a remoter from a phone pager type of devive. Dialed the phone and the car starts from anywhere. Might call them or see if the service still exists. Well even many remotes work from 600 feet away. Some clain more. If you hold a remote near a larger metal object, preferably of the same wavelength, you can get much better range. I often hold a key next to it.

greg

Reply to
GregS

When I installed my AutoCommand, the antenna can be placed anywher you like. A good place is somwhere which is visbale through the windshied. The best place is an external antenna. A poor place in under the dash.

greg in da burgh.

Reply to
GregS

My remote starter can be fine tuned so the transmitter matches the receiver. I talked to one of the reps from Design Tech International at a CES one year. These remotes can drift off after some time. I was able to start my car near channel 13 TV tower, along with many other services on that tower. At some point in time a service was activated on that tower which desenses my receiver so my range dropped radically. The airport may have problems.

greg

Reply to
GregS

them or see if

clain more.

Great, so someone dials the wrong number and starts your car. By the time your plane comes in, you're out of gas. Good idea...NOT!

Reply to
jcr

You could enter a pin code or something to get around that issue. I think it's a great idea. You could get a text message or phone call with a picture when the alarm goes off.

brian

Reply to
brianlanning

The remote starter I had on my last car would automatically shut the car off after 15 minutes and I believe that you can set it to a shorter time if you want.

Reply to
bigbilltolbert

I think that I found something that will do it. It is made by Audiovox and plugs into their starters. You can then call a phone number and put in your pin and it starts the car. Looks like is it an extra $150, but comes with the service for the life of the product. SInce my last starter lasted seven years and was still working when I traded it in, that would have only been $1.78 a month.

I'll post back here if I get one installed and let you know how it worked out.

--bbt

Reply to
bigbilltolbert

Nah. I bet you work for the mob and you are just running out of people to start your car in the morning. ;-)

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

No it wouldn't be. Idling cars don't warm up that much, and by the way 20 degrees is not cold. (I'm from Buffalo NY, saw those temps often) The only way to warm it up is to drive it. Make sure the antifreeze is properly mixed with water too.

Reply to
Bob M.

Sometime we frown on people posting off topic or crossposts sometime we do not. Is it because of all the World war going up in RAC and there is nothing left to discuss here. I have been just looking on RAC and people here are getting very angry for no reason at all. Patience, respect for others is not valued anymore. This seems to be an obvious process. Are there any very very senior posters here who can let all of us know how long do they predict when a turnaround of ethical values will occur in RAC.

Reply to
Vivek

No. It doesn't work like that, and car starters only run for short times.

greg

Reply to
GregS

Idling cars do not warm up nearly as fast, but they do warm up. I also find it starts warming the transmission and shifting is more crisp after at least 7 minuites, the time my starter is set for. i can always start a new

7 minuite interval, or shut one down. Yes it burns gas. If the windshield defroster is on, the warming process also starts defrosting it before you get to the car, and scraping may be unneccesary.

greg

Reply to
GregS

In Vancouver, if you idle your engine for longer than 3 minutes while parked anywhere, you're subject to an $80.00 fine. This has something to do with lowering emission levels. This, of course, never even crossed your mind. Having a "warm and toasty" car is far more important after that long plane trip...

Reply to
Frank Olson

Just out of curiosity, while the car is idling, is the steering wheel and gear shift unlocked?

Reply to
Bob Worthy

20's ?????

Heck I've seen temps in the teens down here in the Sonoran Desert on winter hunting trips.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Are you also not permitted to drive around in circles, accelerate too fast, drive too big a car, or have a 4WD, or just joy ride. In many places you just sit in traffic for far longer times. Its all about the politicians wanting to look good. Perhaps they should install automatic turn offs in all vehicles after 3 minutes.

greg

Reply to
GregS

Another thing to consider: almost all modern car manufacturers recommend NOT warming up your car for more than 30 seconds before driving.

Reply to
Matt Ion