Remote car starter advice

I am wanting to purchase and install myself a remote starter and door unlocker for my full size 96 chevy truck. (To warm up in winter)

I work in a building about 1000 feet from where I park.

I am lookign for an alarm I can install that has the most range, so if I wanted to I could start my truck form inside the building. Do any of you people know what brands are best?

Reply to
stryped

I don't think any have that kind of reliable range. Probably have to use one that uses phone and pager equipment. You can start your car from around the world.

greg

Reply to
GregS

Many of the dealers will discourage remote starters. The dealer that I am with, refuses to install them. They told me that these can sometimes give a lot of problems. You can enquire around about this. I know that many of the Volvo, Nissan, and Toyota dealers are refusing to install these. I have a new Murano, and the dealer also refused when I asked about one. They told me that if I install one, I am on my own with it!

Reply to
JANA

I have a Bulldong in my Astro and it works fine. Range is not 1000 ft I'm pretty sure, but that depends on your battery in your remote and mine's about 1 year old. When it was new range was about 2 city blocks IF it was straight line of sight - not through buildings. I can set it to start by itself if outside temps reach certain limits. That might be an option. Personally, I don't mind getting into a cold car at 38 degrees f, but around zero it's a different story. Autorun like that will only let it run as long as I program it for. Pretty nice unit and very easy to install too.

Cheers, - Jeff G

Reply to
Keep YerSpam

compustar makes an AM version that is about 2000-2500 ft and and FM that is about 5000ft

Reply to
Gazoo

i will have to agree wiyh JANA. I PERSONALLY WOULD DISCOURAGE INSTALLING A REMOTE START DEVICE. but thats just me. if you are really serious about this i encourage you to inquire about possible interference from other items that can interfere with the remotes operation. i would really hate to end my shift only to walk out and find that my car had mysteriously started for some unknown reason and had ran out of gas! OUCH!

Reply to
plainoldmechanic

How about a park heater? I've read about them before and they strike me as a good idea for cold climates. They're a unit which burns a small amount of fuel to heat the engine coolant which is circulated by a small electric pump. It's more efficient than running the engine to warm up the car and less dangerous as well.

Reply to
James Sweet

They don't do that. They have a limit for run time. In a keep warm mode, it automatically runs a bit when temperature drops. Yes, high intensity transmission near towers with intermod, will nearly shut down opperation. This can also affect a vehicles computer and electronics as well.

greg

Reply to
GregS

What if you want to cool down in the summer??

greg

Reply to
GregS

Mine doesn't: once you start it, it runs forever (unless you also unlock the car, in which case it stops after about 90 seconds). Also, the button is quite easy to press accidentally :/ I'm considering modding my buttons to make them harder to press.

This "keep warm mode" would be fairly hard on the battery, if your car isn't a "first-crank starter", wouldn't it?

Reply to
Old Wolf

Hi...

I have a bit of a problem with mine (willing to start in gear. though turned out to be not the fault of the remote starter), so have been reading the installation manual(s)...

Seems that the run time is programmable - in steps. Mine offers choice of 3 minutes, 10 minutes, 30 minutes, or "forever"

There's another side effect that might bite you here, though. With mine, anyways. though I might be in a bit of a unique situation. :)

Here it is... I don't use it to warm the car for comfort, but just to warm the motor a bit (gets to -40 here). So I don't carry the remote, just leave it in the front entranceway, push the button while getting dressed. Then 'cause I'm retired I just go off to the bank, grocery, and back home. So - if I start it in 10 minute mode and drive away, I can't without the remote stop it for that 10 minutes... turning the key off leaves it running. :) Only choice is to let it run out, or turn the key off and then touch the gas or brake - that shuts it down, but starts the alarm going :)

Take care.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

i got mine from

it was sold at walmat. itwas supper cheap, i think the make better ones, with longer distance.the nice thing bout these is they are very easy to install, plus if youhave anti theft devices, they make stuff to override them. it have akill switch for the hood and brake pedal, plus them make alot of othersweet stuff for automatic door and windows.i am definatly happy. i onlypaid 50 bucks and ive had mine for 3 years.

Reply to
Markr1001