Remote Car Starter Questions

Hello:

What a terrific group.

Am thinking that a remote car starter would make a great birthday gift for a member of our family. We live in the northeast, and the idea of their being able to start the car and warm it up a bit before using in the winter sounds like a perfect gift for them.

Questions:

Which are the "best" brands of these things ?

Typical price, installed ?

Do they work "well" "

Transferable (easily) to their next car ?

Any caveats or hookers to their use or purchase, or other questions, I should be asking ?

Much thanks, Bob

Reply to
Robert11

Caveats, there are... Some cars are difficult, if not darn near impossible, to install these on so that they work as intended.

IMO, you should really research your application and intended aftermarket unit for compatibility before you commit...And if you do commit, it is probably best if you take it to an expert for installation.

This does not come from my personal experience, but rather from a number of people, including professional mechanics, who have discussed it here on this site.

Reply to
<HLS

I have seen news reports on tv before about people who start their vehicles in the cold mornings and then they go back into their homes for another cup of coffee while their vehicles are sitting out there and warming up.Quite a few vehicles have been stolen in exactly that way.Makes it easy for the car thieves. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

That is when they use the keys to warm up the vehicle. A good remote start system will shut down the engine. For instance the one I have will shut down the engine (and fuel pump) if you try to open the hood, try to shift out of park, hit the brake pedal or more than 10 minutes has passed.

Reply to
Steve W.

Robert, there are 2 main componets to the remote start system of which BOTH are equally as important. 1st, is the installer and method of install. 2nd is the product. Obviously if one or the other is inferior, you've wasted your money.

Like already stated, the type of car is the number one thing installers will want to know and will base the price on it. A '98 Neon won't cost as much as a 2006 Escalade not because either one is harder than the other (actually the Escalade is easier!) but that there's interfaces needed for the Caddy.

Yes, ALL remote starters will keep the car running AND secured because as soon as you press the brake, it stalls out and you can not restart.

I like to recomend

products.
products would be my 2nd pick. Both are about the same price. For a decent Compustar (1w900fm-s) remote start with lifetime warranty, keyless, light flash, trunk pop(if applicable), 2 remotes, and about

1/5 mile range would be about $225 for the Neon and $325 for the Caddy.
Reply to
ponchonutty