Remote Car Starter; Safety Of ?

Hello:

As I wrote in a Post a while back, am thinking of getting a remote car starter as a gift for a family member. Been thinking about this a bit.

Had an experience with a remote a few years back, where I had my car remote on my keychain, and while watching TV in bed, apparently rolled over on it, and it automatically opened the trunk. As I was in a motel, with lots of good stuff in my trunk, was lucky that I went out for dinner and noticed it.

Real bad system. They should have made it, perhaps, such that it would take 2 clicks of the remote within a second or two to activate anything. This would eliminate just about all of the accidental activations, probably. But they didn't.

So, with these remote car starters, is there the same type of problem ?

Really scarry if the car is in your garage under the house, and it gets turned on accidentally, for whatever reason, and is not noticed. Real Carbon Monoxide problem if it happens.

Have they done anything with these devices to eliminate this potential problem ? (e.g., once started, the car shuts off within five to ten minutes if not moved, my 2-click idea, or...?)

Any thoughts on ?

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Robert11

Don't most of them have a max 15 minute unattended run time?

Reply to
Wrongway Napolitano

It depends on which unit you have. The DEI unit I have uses a remote with two buttons. To start the engine by remote you push both buttons at the same time. Run time is programmed using switches inside the unit, same as the remote codes and some of the other features. It also has remote locks, and auto start when you HOLD both buttons down, it then cycles by starting running a set time and shutting down (useful when it is REAL cold). You install a couple switches that shut the engine down if it is disturbed while running without the key.

make 90% of the units on the market that are any good.

Reply to
Steve W.

Steve, DEI hasn't used the 2button remotes for about 4-5 years now. They are all 4 button remotes and quite frankly suck. They have a very high failure rate compared to that of the 2button ones.

Robert, with most of the better units, yes there's a time or such you have to keep the trunk button pressed to get it to respond. Both Compustar and DEI are like that. The run time is also able to be changed from 12minutes all the way up to an hour. Make sure if you get one that you have the installer hook it up so it monitors the engine's tach signal. That's usually the best method to install so it "knows" for sure if the car had started or not.

Steve W. Wrote:

Reply to
ponchonutty