Remote starter wiring question

I'm trying to install a remote car starter and I've been successful for the most part. I have all the wires connected and it works, except for the parking light wire because I can't find it. This system also came with a keyless entry feature, and I can't find those wires either (even though I haven't really started on that yet). The car is a 93 mitsubishi eclipse. I'm pretty sure it has power doors, because there is a pwr door fuse. Any help on finding those wires would be appreicated. Thanks in advance, Chris

Reply to
Chris Fonville

You mean power door locks, I presume. Those wired you will fine behind the driver's side kick panel to the left of your footwell, where the wires pass through to the door. It has power locks if you can lock/unlock the passenger side door with a switch on the driver's door. KennyH

Horsepower is cheaper than therapy.

Reply to
KHanawalt

Well I found the parking light wire and attached it. But about the door locks, I can't even see the wires that go through to the door, I think it would be impossible to get to them. On a chart I printed out from the Bulldog web site that lists to wires and their color, it says the location of the door lock/unlock wires is "Relays Left of Steering Colm". Can anyone describe where that's at? Thanks, Chris

Reply to
Chris Fonville

Can you see where the wires go through between the door and the door frame? If not, maybe you don't have power locks. If you have power windows there will definitely be wires between the door and the car. KennyH

Horsepower is cheaper than therapy.

Reply to
KHanawalt

I can see where the wires go between the door and the door frame, but looking from the inside it seems impossible to get to. I have power windows, and like you said earlier when I unlock/lock one side, the opposite side also unlocks/locks. I just need to find those wires. Thanks, Chris

Reply to
Chris Fonville

Sorry, I don't have any experience on that particular car, although I've installed remote locks in a few American cars. Good luck! The wires are there somewhere. You'll find them.

KennyH

Horsepower is cheaper than therapy.

Reply to
KHanawalt

Constant 12V+ White Ignition Switch Harness Starter Black/Yellow Ignition Switch Harness Ignition Black/White Ignition Switch Harness Accessory Blue/Black Ignition Switch Harness Tach White/Black Multi Coil Pack Brake Switch Green Brake Switch Trunk Pin n/a Works with Dome Light Parking Lights Green/White White Conn Rear of Fuse Panel Head Lamp Red (-) Light Switch Hood Pin n/a Factory Disarm n/a Door Trigger Tan (-) Inside Driver's Door,Dark Blue all other Doors Door Lock Brown/Blue (-) Driver's Kick at Door Lock Relays Door Unlock Brown/White (-) Horn Wire Green/Black (-) Steering Column, use Relay

Door locks can be tricky to work with. Make sure you test for polarity, it's easy to fry your alarm/starter with incorrect connections. You should also know exactly how the door locks work, 3 wire positive, 6 wire alternating, etc.. You'll probably want to get at these wires where they come into the cab from the door, start taking off panels and removing carpet till you see them. Obviously you can tell where they run through the loom coming out of the door so you know where they are. A haynes manual is a good bet in the future for basic wiring diagrams, they usually have complete door lock diagrams with wire colors.

Reply to
bad bad man

I have a Haynes manual for my car, but it doesn't have the diagram for the door locks that I could find. I also have a chart kind of like that one that I printed off the bulldog website. The wires coming through the door frame seem to be impossible to get to. However, I just found the 2 wires that I need so as soon as I get some time I will finish up. Thanks, Chris

Reply to
Chris Fonville

Yeah, I just suggested haynes cause they're cheap and easy to find. They really are crap though. All kinds of missing steps, errors, bad advice, etc, but for basics they're better than nothing.

Reply to
bad bad man

I just finished installing the keyless entry and it works perfectly. Those were the hardest wires to get to, though. Now, the starter has a Trunk feature to pop the trunk, but that can't be installed on my car, so I was trying to think of anything else I could use that button for. It suggests sliding power doors on vans. I want to have it roll up my power windows, but it says an option part is required. Is the optional part *really* required or do they just want you spending the extra $20 so you don't have to hold down the button? It says in the manual that by pressing the button it releases a positive charge for 0.75 seconds, or if you press and hold the button it will send the positive charge as long as you hold it. Would I be able to find the power window wire to hold the button down and roll up my windows? Or any other suggestions on what I could use it for? Thanks, Chris

Reply to
Chris Fonville

I didn't even think about the horn, that's a good idea because on top of being able to make the ocassional person jump, if I see any of our cats on the car it will scare them off. I also have the wire color in the chart for the horn, so that's probably the way I'll go. I'll check my haynes manual to see about the power windows, but I don't remember seeing a diagram for that.

The washer jet idea is great. If for some reason the horn or the window roll-up ideas don't work, I'd definitely love to try it :-D Thank you for your help, Chris

Reply to
Chris Fonville

Short answer: maybe. I think most windows work with alternating DC current, meaning it passes current both ways through one circuit for up/down. Not so simple when you have to complete both ends of the circuit to engage the motor, so you'll need a wiring diagram. Also need a relay to protect your starter unit.

Another suggestion: horn. Fun to scare people with and easier to install. Even BETTER is a mis-aligned washer fluid jet. Press the button and shoot water out in front of the vehicle.

Reply to
The 3rd little pig