Removing a car alarm - HELP!

We've had this 1996 Grand Marquis for 10 years now. It had an aftermarket Audiovox car alarm installed in it. It never worked. I lost the remote years ago.

Ok, so today our check engine light was flashing and the car ran really rough. So I replaced the sparkplugs and wires. Thinking it was misfiring. I disconnected the negative terminal to the battery to reset the check engine light.

Well, all hell broke loose. The car alarm started blaring. It even started itself up! I have no remote to turn it off so I disconnected the siren horn. But still the alarm is doing strange things like locking the doors and it won't let me start it either. So I find the alarm black box and disconnect it. Now th car idles kinda fast while in park. The check engine is back on (probably the Oxygen sensors) and it idles rough.

My question -- HOW CAN I GET THIS ALARM SYSTEM UNINSTALLED? It's spliced into harnesses under my steering column - what a friggin mess . . . any advise?

JaKe Seattle

Reply to
jkdrummer

Sounds like Christine....................

Exorcism is your only hope. Well, that and take her to an alarm&tint shop. She needs a manicure and facial, NOW.

Reply to
wws

rather than ripping things out by the roots, why not put a tester on the diagnostic port and see what the car is trying to tell you?

Reply to
ed

I installed an Audiovox alarm in 1996 so could have the same unit. If I remember right, the only wire cut was the one to the starter solenoid. I didn't have a remote start on mine so not sure how it is tied in. I believe the relay was normally closed so unplugging the unit should completely deactivate it and not hurt anything. I assume the relay must be normally closed or you wouldn't have been able to start it. The door locks were just tapped into so no real issue there.

If you have the black box out and the car starts, it is deactivated. If you want to remove the wires, you will have to trace them. There will be some going to the wiring harness for the door switches. These can be cut and taped. The remote start and starter kill will go to relays mounted somewhere. I would find the relays and tie the original wires back together if they were cut (most likely cut for the "starter kill" but maybe not for remote start).

hope this helps. I will look and see if I can find my manual. If so and the plugs look the same, you may get lucky and it will tell you which wires go where (of course that assumes it was installed correctly and that sounds questionable). Again, if the car starts, I don't think anything left in the wiring harnesses will cause a problem.

Reply to
bob

what is the make and model of the alarm???

Reply to
Markr1001

This is great info!

I ended up finding the evil black box and removed it. So far, the car starts up fine.

The check engine problem was a bad ignition coil module. Oh well, the car knew I had some extra cash!!

Thanks to all that replied.

JaKe

Reply to
jkdrummer