removing paint from headlights

I got a used car with its headlights partially painted over, as if for decoration. I'd like to remove the paint, but using a solvent like acetone or nail polish remover scuffs up the headlight plastic underneath the paint.

Any suggestions on how to remove paint from plastic, or how to polish up the headlights after exposure to solvents?

I appreciate the help!

Reply to
kenbcooper

Well, for damn sure, if those headlight lenses are "plastic", DO NOT USE ACETONE OR NAIL POLISH REMOVE.

You will likely destroy them with crazing or surface cracking.

There are lots of things to try first. What sort of paint was used? Oil base or water based emulsion?

Reply to
<HLS

Thanks for the reply - but I don't know what kind of paint it is. It looks like the same kind as used on the body, if that tells you anything.

Reply to
kenbcooper

message

Try gently rubbing with one of those plastic scrubbers for dishes.

If the headlight covers are plastic and an enamel or laquer was used I would expect them to be trash.

Reply to
marks542004

You may need to sand with 500 grit and then follow up with a buffing wheel.

Dave

Reply to
spamTHISbrp

Okay, whatever sort of paint you have, you need to soften it and try scrubbing with a sponge or a nonabrasive type cleaning medium first.

Lets assume it is normal body paint. If you use acetone, you are likely to destroy the lens. Try something really mild like petroleum jelly, or mineral oil, or maybe even one of those citrus cleaners that are popular now. Put them on and let them stand for a long period of time. If they are oil soluble, they may soften the paint and make it easier to get off.

Acetone or nail polish remover can be a strong solvent but may be too harsh.

Use patience.

If you are unlucky, the oil based paint has melted and fused into the headlight lens. In that case, little remains but replacement.

Reply to
<HLS

I agree. I would probably try scraping the paint off with a razor blade first, but it takes a special touch as the paint is likely very close in hardness to the plastic. What you're counting on here is that the plastic was not well prepped so the paint and lens haven't actually "become one."

I suspect that Dave's advice will be the eventual "solution" to this problem. Be aware that this will remove any UV protective coating on your headlights, so this will probably become regular maintenance every couple years; if the headlights are not in great shape now it may be easier just to buy new ones.

good luck

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I wouldn't use a razor blade but would try scraping with a piece of hard plastic like polystyrene-- the clear plastic like they use for those little drawer systems.

Reply to
CraigFL

Try Goof Off on a small portion over in one corner. I've never tried it with automotive paint but it works great on a most paints. You might even have some luck with plain old windex. I have had some success using it to remove over spray. For what it's worth before you get too enthusiastic about scraping , sanding or using strong solvents. Price the cost of replacements first. After you find out how much it will cost to replace the lenses a little paint might not bother you as much. Good Luck!

Reply to
donc314