Removing window tinting

I just purchased a car that had once had window tinting on the rear window. The tint sheet had been peeled off a while ago, but the very thick, very sticky residue was left. I'm wondering what any of you might recommend as the best way to remove this residue without damaging the defroster wires on the back window. Thanks!

Reply to
mboszko

wipe down with lacquer thinner and 0000 steel wool, follow with warm soapy water and 0000 steel wool, then clean windows as normal. Should leave no residue and look as new.

good luck,

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Lighter fluid, scrapers, and lots of paper towels. Don't scrape the printed circuits.

Reply to
« Paul »

"« Paul »" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net:

Can I squeeze the Charmin?

Reply to
Tegger

NO!

:)

Reply to
« Paul »

How about waterless hand cleaner, such as Goop or GoJo? It seems to work well on adhesive residue.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

Those generally contain pumice, I'd be concerned that it's not ground finely enough to avoid visible scratches.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

The pumice also can scratch safety glass. You might try it, but only as a last resort on the spots that the solvents have failed on.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Works good as long as you use the version that doesn't contain pumice. I use lacquer thinner myself you just have to be careful and make REAL sure you have a LOT of air flowing through the vehicle and wear a respirator.

Reply to
Steve W.