Rename "turn signals?"

I think we need to rename "turn" signals to "intent-to-turn" signals. It is getting to be the norm that folks put the signal on AFTER they begin their turn- that is, the car is changing directions when they turn them on. One does not NEED a signal at that point- it is obvious that the car is turning.

The driving schools seem to be falling down on teaching this. I even see large truck drivers and police officers doing it this way!

Reply to
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

WHAT driving schools? Most North Americans think that driving amounts to jamming a key into a lock and mashing the accelerator pedal tot he floor. Their minds are never engaged in the process. We could use some discipline in the matter of driver training and licensing.

Reply to
the fly

When one sees the turn signal flashing, all one knows for sure is that the turn signal signals work.

Reply to
Bruce W. Ellis

I always put my turn signals on about 200 feet before I get ready to turn the steering wheel and make my turn.But you are right, some people pay no attention to turn signals at all. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Some state laws require 400 or 500 feet. Probably too much for urban areas. Still, driving schools should teach that state's laws.

Someone said "what driving schools?" In many states now teens must pass driver's ed before they can apply for a license. Maybe some states have no drivers schools or drivers ed, but I suspect they are few.

Reply to
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

Where do you live that it is the norm or standard driver behaviour???? It occurs sure, but the norm? C'mon....

This could be an opportunity to increase police enforcement. Yes, lets ticket them all for failing to signal the proper number of feet before turning. And while were at it lets vigorously enforce the existing speed limits.

Given that we all know the following about flashing lights:

  1. Light flashing means the vehicle may move to the right.
  2. Light flashing on left means the vehicle may move to the left.
  3. Both lights flashing at once means the vehicle may be in trouble and may stop.

I do not see any benefit in tripling the number of words needed to describe a turn.

Reply to
John S.

I respectfully submit that a better name would be, "Go ahead and cut me off ASSHOLE" signals. :-/

Reply to
Steve

Here in Chicago you could call if the Fair Warning signal. If you get

3 blinks during rush hour consider yourself well-treated. Things happen too quickly for distances measured in hundreds of feet. That may work on the open road but in bumper-to-bumper traffic when you need to cross 3 lanes to get to your exit the driver's manual goes out the window pretty quickly. It's funny to see the big difference between locals and those from out of state in how they react to such treatment. It's just a part of driving in some places.

Calvin

Reply to
Calvin

Washington, D.C. - if it's not the norm it's simply because a significant number of people don't use them at all.

I could dream. However it appears that the vast majority of police officers are unaware that turn signals are required, much less how to use them properly.

How about FIX the speed limits?

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Minnesota. Maybe I am selectively noticing, but I really do think that it is more norm than exception here. As I say, even the police and commercial drivers do it.

Like driving on the left. On four-lane roads, in Minnesota most traffic drives to the left- the right lane is for passing.

Reply to
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

In CT this was quite true.

Dave

Reply to
spamTHISbrp

The more I travel by air, the more I realize how different driving styles are around the country. I don't notice it when I *drive* across the country because the change is slow, but flying in, renting a car, and driving around sure makes it clear. I live in Central Texas, and people drive very fast but aren't terribly cut-throat. They do tend to see a turn signal as a challenge to grab the space before the signaller can complete the maneuver, though. :-p When I fly to the east coast, I feel like I'm way too meek in my driving habits. Driving in the Mass/RI/CT area is truly a contest won by the person who can avoid eye contact the longest, never use a signal, and stick his fender in deepest without bobbling ;-) On the other hand, I never can believe how mild drivers in the Seattle/Tacoma area are. It takes me a few days of tooling around there (using signals, moving over for merging traffic, never driving more than 2-3 mph over the limit even in the "fast" lane!) before I stop feeling like a barracuda in a koi pond.

Reply to
Steve

I was only guessing at about 200 feet when I put my turn signals on.My reflexes aren't what they used to be and I have slowed wayyyyyyy down over the years.That is why when I go shopping, I stay on the slow poke old back roads.If I am doing 50 miles per hour or more, that is wayyyyyyy too fast for me.My average speed on those old back roads is from about 30 mph to about 40 to 45 miles per hour.I like it that way too. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

I believe they have been traditionally called 'turn indicator' signals. Nothing is foolproof when you are working with fools.

Reply to
hls

Montana and Texas didn't used to have any (or hardly any) speed limits out of the towncities.One time in 1993 I visited Mexico for five days on my vacation.I got back across the U.S.border and I drove to Houston.I don't remember what the name of that fast express way is, the name of it starts with the letter K, sort of a German name, I think.I had to get off of that expressway, I took an exit that leads to a mall. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin