Repairing and bonding vs. replacing rear quarter panel?

Hi. I'm not a car expert, but I had an accident recently where someone smashed their car into my parked Honda Civic while making a wide turn. They put some two sets of vertical dents on my driver's side. One set on the door and the framing underneath the door, the other set on the rear quarter panel.

Took the car to a pretty good body shop. They've replaced the door and were going to replace the rear quarter panel, but called me up late last week to let me know that they managed to straighten the dent out on the quarter panel and got it back to the way it originally was. I took a look at it and it did look nice and smooth. They then told me they would need to put a thin layer of bonding material where the dents had been straightened.

Now I've been told replacing the part is better than bonding, because the bonding can crack or wear down, thus messing with the shape of the body of the car, but was told that's when they really try to fill in the dents with them, not just touch the car up with it. The owner of the body shop mentioned to me he felt that it is much better to repair than replace in this case, even though he'd make more money from my insurance agency by replacing the panel.

Anyone have any info on the pros and cons of repairing vs. replacing in the case outlined above? Thanks in advance.

----------------- WWE: Wrestling made by morons for morons.

Reply to
Ned Ryerson - BING

Gotcha. Thanks, that sets my mind at ease. These guys run a pretty professional body shop and I figured he had no reason to BS me since they would make more money off replacement.

Just that I have little knowledge of cars and the car is only six months old so...

----------------- WWE: Wrestling made by morons for morons.

Reply to
Ned Ryerson - BING

I second Dan's opinion. Panel replacement involves a lot of welding and the introduction for many rust opportunities. A properly done repair with a thin coat of filler is preferable in the absence of metal tearing, etc that needed repair.

Reply to
lugnut

I ran into this EXACT situation about 2 weeks ago with my body shop regarding the front passenger side fender on my 6 month old 2003 Pontiac Grand Prix involved in a relatively minor lane change accident. They first requested on the estimate a new OEM fender. A few days later they called me saying my fender wasn't all that bad and insisted on a bonded repair for the same reasons other respondents have noted. I also questioned their intentions, but now I realize after having the car repaired they were absolutely right. A new fender wouldn't fit or finish out any better... if anything probably worse.

I wouldn't worry about it. They sound like professionals who have the situation well under control.

Reply to
sphipps

Yeah, there was no actual break in the metal. Just some heavy, crinkly dents. Looked worse than it was because the paint was chipped off, giving the illusion of cracks in the metal.

-----------------" It's no wonder the WWeeeeeee just blows chunks, when an unbalanced psychopath is running the asylum." - Bob Barnett, 7/1/03

Reply to
Ned Ryerson - BING

No woories, that's how all car manufacturers used to finish the seam between the roof & C pillar. They usually used lead, but a thin layer of bondo is just as good. Slabs of bondo are bad, doesn't sound like they did that.

Cheers, - Jeff G

Ned Ryers> Hi. I'm not a car expert, but I had an accident recently where someone smashed

Reply to
Jeff Gross