repairing the new plastic bumpers?

My girlfriend has a 2006 Lexus ES-330 I think it is.

She bonked something and left a quite sizable dent in the front bumper. Furtunately I managed to pop it out fairly well with a c- clamp and a piece of wood for pressure. It is hard to notice now.

But - where she bonked it, inside the bumper there is a mount for one of the fog lights. It just happened to hit at that juncture and broke a plastic tab mount that is part of the inside of the fender.

I need to figure out how to tag that small piece of plastic back to the bumper to hold the fog light.

Is there a special dissolving type of glue for that purpose or should I use epoxy, or JB weld or....? It is on the inside of the bumper, so it does not have to look pretty, but I can't drill holes in it (obviously)..

Ideas?

Thanks!

Reply to
BSAKing

A picture would really help here. Are you talking about a piece of hard plastic that acts to mount various parts? If it holds the fog lamp, then epoxy alone probably won't do. I would make a new tab out of sheet metal that bridges the break and then attach it to both sides with screws or make two and sandwich the plastic between them and use pop-rivets. This would be in addition to epoxy. Self-drilling & tapping screws should be easy enough to drive by hand through the plastic. The sheet metal reinforcement can have holes drilled in it before putting it into place. (as could the broken off part of the tab)

Reply to
Brent P

I also need a picture. Repairing broken plastic is normally not an option, espically when said piece us used ot mount something else. Fabricating a mount out of metal as suggested before sounds like a good plan to me.

Reply to
scott21230