Replace A/C pulley bearing

I've had a bearing-going-bad noise for a while and I've had a difficult time finding the culprit. So today I pulled the serpentine belt and checked every pulley with a stethoscope. Turns out it's the A/C compressor's clutch pulley bearing - in addition to the slight "grinding" feel and sound, I could hear the ball bearings "falling around" its race.

The A/C is really cold and there is nothing else wrong with the system. I'd rather not yank the compressor and replace it (~$300) since it's more than doing its job at cooling. I've found the bearing for about $20 at RockAuto, and of course, I can replace the pulley/ clutch/bearing as a complete unit for more money.

My question is, what tools do I use? Is this the tool I use:

Or is it one of the other tools on this page (complete URL is in braces): {
} I've looked inside the hub and there is no nut (as I remember A/C pulley's had years ago), but I do see some sort of cap with a tab. I've been told there is a tool used to screw into the pulley's ID threads, then the inner bolt screws down on the hub's center and pulls the pulley off. Another tool is used to re-install the pulley. The first URL (to the tool) seems to be the tool to use.

I'd much rather avoid the expense of a compressor and then the time to drain, remove compressor, evacuate, and charge the system (plus the purchase of a new dryer).

Any thoughts?

Reply to
james.revv

My thought is that the make, model, engine type, compressor type of this vehicle JUST MIGHT have a bearing on the tool to use and the feasability of this job.

Why do so many even bother to post questions like the above without providing this information?

Don

Don

On Sep 30, 10:09 pm, Don wrote: [snip]

Ooooops! Sorry about that! I got diverted describing the A/C issue.

1995 Chevy Camaro (Z28 - non-California). It seems I can remove the pulley while on the vehicle (compressor is located at the bottom of the engine compartment, passenger side), given the proper tools.
Reply to
james.revv

Yup, that's the tool, removes and installs.

GM quit using a nut to retain the drive plate quite some time ago.

You'll also need a large snap ring pliers to remove the snap ring that retains the pulley/bearing assembly to the compressor snout. Straight or right angle is your choice depending on how much room is available in front of the compressor.

If you're a novice at this job, I recommend skipping the bearing and go for the whole pulley assembly. The bearing is staked to the pulley, the R & R is delicate otherwise you'll bend the face of the pulley (where the drive plate contacts) (DAMHIKT) Re-install the drive plate leaving 0.015" to 0.020" gap.

If you do replace just the bearing, I'd forego re-staking the bearing and use Loctite stud & bearing mount instead.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

On Oct 1, 6:37 am, aarcuda69062 wrote: [snip]

Thanks for the information, aarcuda ... I picked up both the clutch removal and installer tools (they come as a pair in the box) at a local Oreilly auto parts. I also ordered the pulley/bearing assembly, which will be in by this afternoon.

Reply to
james.revv

Reply to
phil