Replaced radiator, now it wont start :(

OK, so you're getting power to the solenoid. Now the much more important question- since you were RIGHT THERE, did you hear and feel the solenoid "bang" into position when your friend turned the key?

If so, pull the starter and have it repaired.

Reply to
Steve

They make these things called rags...

The bolt that connects the starter solenoid to the starter or the bolt that connects the battery cable to the solenoid?

Do either one of you have the slightest clue as to what you need to be testing?

Lemme ask you this; given that you had a gargantuan hole in the radiator tank and, IIRC you drove the car some distance under this condition, have you bothered to put a socket to the crankshaft bolt to see if the engine is seized?

Reply to
aarcuda69062

didn't work, I turned it a full 360 degrees."

I'm not exactly sure how turning the crank should "have worked" in the OP's context, but it seems unlikely the engine is locked up.

So anyhoo, that's an ND starter, right? 150k miles? I'm thinkin' solenoid contacts. Of course if it's anything but an original ND or true ND reman, don't waste time overhauling contacts; get a whole 'nuther unit.

Toyota MDT in MO

P.S. I wish I had a nickel for every 11, 15, 17 volt variable output battery that's flown me for a misdiagnosis. P.P.S. 17!!

Reply to
Comboverfish

Im pretty sure it was solonoid to starter as I said in my previous post.

Do either one of you have the slightest clue as to what you need to be testing?

Nope, just testing what you guys tell me to.

Lemme ask you this; given that you had a gargantuan hole in the radiator tank and, IIRC you drove the car some distance under this condition, have you bothered to put a socket to the crankshaft bolt to see if the engine is seized?

I only drove it maybe a quarter mile and it never overheated. I turned the car on after replacing the radiator and it worked just fine, then I turned it off to fix a leak and no more than 15 seconds later. It wont start.

Reply to
AFX

Oh yeah, I put my hand on it and you could feel it hammer something and make a pretty audible "CLICK"

Reply to
AFX

It wouldn't be a bad bet to remove the starter and take it to one of the auto parts places that will test it for you.

Reply to
clifto

You and EVERYONE else.... :-p

Reply to
Steve

Then the diagnosis is 99-44/100% POSITIVE that its the damn solenoid contacts, or (less likely but possible) a dead starter motor. EITHER WAY, the solution is to pull the starter and have it repaired.

Reply to
Steve