Replacing 2003 Taurus Spark Plugs

I'm contemplating buying a 2003 Ford Taurus 3.0 litre V6 from the father of a close friend who has given up driving. With just a quick look under the hood it appeared that the rear spark plugs are a challenge to replace.

Thoughts anyone.

Ed

Reply to
Ed Homeyer

They might be difficult but people do it. Also consider that a set should last at least 50,000 miles so even if you have to take it somewhere and just pay them to do it you'll most likely only have to do it once while you own the car unless you the rare person who keeps a car for a while. I doubt its more then one or at the most two hours labor so it should be no more then a couple hundred bucks.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

It's awkward but not all that difficult. The worst one is cyl 1. Do it first and the rest will be easy. The hardest part for me was getting the wire off without destroying it. You don't have much leverage.

I found the Taurus (mine is a 2004) a lot easier than changing the plugs on my Astro van...now those ARE a challenge...you have to go in thru the wheel well with a long extension. A real PITA...

Reply to
M.M.

Okay, thank you for the replies.

Were you able to do it from above, or did you need to have the vehicle on a hoist and go up from below.

I have a 97 Dodge Caravan that looked impossible until a mechanic said to remove the cowl. Never thought of that, and it also is not all that bad once you have it figured out.

Ed

Reply to
Ed

I did it from above. I was able to snake my arm behind the engine from the drivers side & reach the plug. Once I got the wire off it wasn't too difficult to R&R the plug. I didn't think about trying from below. If the car has less than 50K miles there's probably not any reason to change the plugs unless there's a reason to believe they're causing a problem. In any case, it's not something you should need to do very often...

Reply to
M.M.

If your 3.0 is the 24 valve Duratec Engine (with the intake manifold over the rear plugs) plug replacement is very tricky and not for the unskilled - see URL below.

http://t> Okay, thank you for the replies.

Reply to
Larry W