replacing breaker points in mallory distributor

This may be a really dumb question (it isn't the first and most certainly won't be the last). I am going to be replacing the points in my Mallory Distributor (Dual Point, vacuum advance - 27 series). The Mallory points do not have a simple way to adjust the dwell. There is no adjusting screw. Basically the points are adjusted by loosening a screw (the screw is in a slot that allows the point set to pivot) and pivoting the point set and retightening the screw. This is very difficult to do particularly in my car ('66 Pontiac) because the distributor resides between the firewall and the back end of the block.

Do I have to use Mallory points in my Mallory distributor? Can I use a set of points from another manufacturer? If so I would choose a set that are a little more user friendly and easier to adjust.

Let me know if I am way off base about adjusting these points, but I don't see any adjusting screws, nuts, etc. that can be used in a simple manner (the stock distributor points were very easy to adjust by using an Allen wrench).

Again, all suggestions and comments are appreciated.

Kevin

Reply to
K. Elliot

The "easy" way (with an adjusting screw) was one of Delco-Remy's clever ideas. Everyone else, with a non-Delco distributor, had to use the slotted-mounting-hole deal you describe here.

Pshaw. I have a Slant-6!

No, but you have to use the points that are designed for that distributor, whether made by Mallory or Echlin or Standard or whoever. They will all be of the same design, because that's what that distributor takes.

I believe Mallory used to make a Unilite (Electronic) conversion for their

27-series distributors. If not, one of the usual suspects (Pertronix, perhaps) will have a conversion kit for you. Or, failing even that, you could use the NAPA Echlin EAS-70, olde-fashioned points-triggered ignition amplifier, which will greatly extend point life.

But by that point (as it were) you're better off just swapping in an alternative electronic setup and ditching the Mallory dizzy, if you cannot electronify it.

If "none of the above", then just do it the way everyone else does it on hard-to-reach distributors: Rotate the engine to index the distributor (have the rotor pointing somewhere memorable, like straight ahead), pull the distributor, take it to the bench, replace the points and condenser, gap the points carefully to the middle of the spec, reinstall the distributor, and then check the dwell -- which will be just fine if the distributor's in good shape.

DS (I put electronic in my \6)

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Why not rig a dwell extender or transistor ignition and eliminate the need for critical points adjustment. A dwell extender is at least as good as dual points, and transistor ignition is better yet. The former is so simple that no circuit board is needed, just a 500-600V,

6-8A SCR and a couple of resistors and capacitors for the timing circuit. A points type transistor ignition can be built mostly from parts in a junked computer power supply plus a 300-400V zener diode to protect the output transistor. With transistor ignition you'll also need to feed about 1/4A through the points to keep them clean.
Reply to
do_not_spam_me