Replacing lower ball joints, S10, 4x4

Has anyone had any experience replacing the lower ball joints on an 87 S10 4x4 P/U? I need to replace the ones on mine. I just wanted to know if anyone here can tell me if this project is worth tackling or sending it to a professional mechanic. I don't want to tackle this project if it involves buying all sorts of special tools to complete the job. I have heard that this job can take a while to finish, but that's not an issue. Any help would be appreciated.

Jody

Reply to
Jody7818

Once the wheel, brake caliper, rotor is removed; you will need a big socket to remove the axle nut, a ball joint separator, a big hammer, preferably an air hammer and sharp chisel-to remove the 4 rivets (factory) holding the ball joint in the lower control arm. If it has been replaced before, it will be a lot easier than if it hasn't.

Not too bad a job, really.

Reply to
Harry Balzak

They actually have been replaced before. I had them replaced by a professional mechanic in Jan. of 2002. So the ones on my truck aren't that old. I wonder why they went bad so quickly? Do you think that the mechanic put the right ones on the truck? Is there a difference between 4wd ball joints and 2wd ball joints? I'm going to call the mechanic this evening about the problem. What can I expect the mechanic to do in this situation? Would I have to pay the bill again?

Jody

Reply to
Jody7818

Insist on Moog parts. TRW makes absolute crap....guaranteed to wear out prematurely. If he didn't do a competent job the first time, you would have known it right away. There is no way that a 2wd joint will interchange with a 4wd one. Totally different design. Who said they were bad? Maybe you are being scammed by a shop slow on work. Get a second opinion, and go from there.

I doubt that your mechanic did something wrong the first time. If they wear out too soon, it is either a cheap part, bad road conditions (Michigan?), or lack of lubrication.

Reply to
Harry Balzak

How would I've known that the mechanic didn't do a competent job right away? I did hear popping noises after he replaced the ball joints, just as I heard them before he replaced them. Do you think there could be something else that is worn out on my truck that may be making the lower ball joints wear out quickly?

Reply to
Jody7818