replacing sliders on a 90 Chev 1/2 ton

Can anyone tell me if you can replace the sliding back window portions on a 1990 Chevy 1/2 ton? They got busted recently, and the quote for a new window installed is $500 and up.

I was told by one place that they could do it if I brought them the windows, so I went to the junk yard and got them out of another truck.

They then told me that they can't do it short of cutting the frame apart and tig welding it back together, and that'll be about $300.

Grr.

So, can you or can you not replace the sliding windows if you remove the whole assembly from the truck, or is this considered not practical?

We pretty much mangled the frame on the truck at the junkyard getting the sliders out, so I'm inclined to believe them, but it's just a royal pain driving all over the countryside when I could have just had a glass place nearby replace the damn things in the first place if it was going to be the same price.

Ray

Reply to
Ray

You have to figure that they don't want the windows to come out or what use would door locks be?

I haven't seen anyone have success with glass but have seen Plexiglas or Lexan of the same thickness as the glass used. The windows were made in 3 pieces and fused together in place with glue. One piece half way up, one piece half way down and a strip across the joint on the outside of one window and the strip on the inside of the other.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: N> Can anyone tell me if you can replace the sliding back window portions
Reply to
Mike Romain

I'm not quite sure if I understand you on this.

I understand the fact you have to take the frame off the truck in order to remove the sliders and can't just lift them out... but I was given the impression that once the shop took the whole window out that the sliders were then replaceable.

What sucks is I couldn't find a complete window at the wreckers. I would have just removed the whole thing - I don't really like the sliding window anyway.

Ray

Reply to
Ray

You could just get a non-sliding window and gasket from the junkyard, it takes about half an hour to install (but will require two people.)

nate

Reply to
N8N

Another thought, can you get an aftermarket sliding window assembly?

nate

Reply to
N8N

I don't know what happens with the window on the bench. I was under the impression the frame was solid and would have to be cut and welded, but could be incorrect there.

I don't think the maker 'wanted' the sliders to be replaceable when they can sell you the whole thing....

The Lexan sheet was just cut to fit the opening, then sliced in half to fit in one half at a time, then glued back together with a reinforcing strip basically.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Romain

if I could find one. all I found last time was busted ones. you'd think finding one from an 88-97 chev wouldn't be that hard to find... but these trucks get picked over pretty quick.

Ray

Reply to
Ray

The truck had a plexiglass window for two years when my father-in-law owned it and they busted it loading wood.

I already suggested that to the wife. She thinks the truck is redneck enough...

Ray

Reply to
Ray