research on car hinges

Hi,

I'm doing a research on car hinges and I'm trying to find some contacts in the automotive industry that could give me some informations on those components and about the manufacturing process that is used to produce the hinges.

If any body had some contacts to share, please let me know.

Or if you have some information to share directly, that would also be great!

Reply to
Nouma

Oh, was "Do a "google" on "National Automotive Door, Hood, Trunk and Liftgate Hinge Museum and Archives"" a serious reply? Or did I miss the reply you are referring to?

I really don't know and am being serious here.

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish

Fair enough, but not to me anyway. Hey kids, y'all want to go to the hinge museum, or we could stay at home and peruse the hinge archives! (kids) Yay!!! Hinges!!!

Agreed.

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish

The "kid" has already been calling all major actors of the hinge industry and been able to map about 90% of the technologies used in the European Market.

Unfortunately, I cannot afford to go to the US to find it out by myself.

Further more, it is very difficult to have some contacts on the car maker side and though I past the last 2 weeks calling to European car makers, I only reached a couple of people that were able to slightly help me.

Reply to
Nouma

A massive cross-posting to groups that are likely to be composed of drivers of vehicles of various makes and models is likely to prove futile.

I have some really interesting copper-plated steel or iron hinges, that look as if they might have been plated first, and then forged by hand. Doors in an 1890s vintage Victorian house in Silverton, CO. It is amazing that a blacksmith could do.

Saludos cordiales, Schönen Gruß, Saúde,

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Fair enough.

You should check out the 4x4 shops as they make aftermarket hinges for Jeep restoration or just looks. Same for custom car shops for American car restorations.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Romain

Thank you for all the info.

I'm also trying to understand better the differences between the existing manufacturing process that are used for hinges: stamped, profiled and forged hinges.

solution. Profiled hinges occupies less space inside the door, but is slightly heavier than a stamped hinge because profilled hinges are "filled" with metal, whereas stamped hinges are like metal sheets. Yet profiled hinges offer better mechanical properties (more resistant) at a higher cost. Finally, forged hinges are better in all ways, except for the price, as they are more expensive.

Could any one confirm this, and maybe give me some more information about the benefits from each technology and maybe give me some numbers about the gain and loss between each technology (hinge manufacturers are not really willing to give me those answers)? Does anybody had the chance to weight such hinges (unfortunately, car dealers don't have such parts in stock)?

Thank you!

Reply to
Nouma

Car/truck/van door hinges are made of cheap stuff, read that, Crap.I had to put a lot of flat washers in the drivers side door and front passenger side door hinges of a 1971 Chevrolet van I used to own to shim those door hinges up.My 1978 Dodge drivers side door, it drops down almost a whole inch when I open that door.I know about oiling those old door hinges, but most of the old wrecks I bought before and drove around were already mostly all worn out.

American vehicle manufacturers just do not put decent door hinges on those vehicles.Sheesh, the old door hinges on the doors of my house still work just as good as brand spanking new and my old house was built in 1947. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin