Resetting the Check Engine Light - 98 Mazda 626 ES

Salutations

During the winter I rear ended another car and did some damage to my car that required it to sit in the shop for almost a month, not because of extensive damage but because of availability of the driver's side airbag (which shouldn't have been deployed in the first place). The car was running well even after the accident before I took it to the shop. When the car was returned, however, it was running very roughly. The check engine light came on and was even blinking at times. I called the body shop and they told me it was what they called "old gas" and that it would go away. My own search for info told me that it may be a dirty fuel injector and that I could try using a fuel injector cleaner and driving a couple of full tanks of gas. I did so and the problem did go away; the car now runs normally (smoothly and with the same gas mileage as before). However, the check engine light remains on. The dealer said there is a problem with the oxygen sensor and the exhaust and that to fix would be more than a thousand dollars. I, however, wonder if the car's computer is still giving me the warning because it sensed a problem when there was one and didn't reset when it was fixed or whether there is indeed still a problem.

Is there a way to reset the check engine light to normal? I would then wait for it to come on again to see if there is indeed still a problem.

Thanks

Reply to
Miguel

Try disconnecting the battery for 5 minutes.

O2 sensors can typically be had for less than $100

Take the car to Autozone and have then plug in their scanner to get a readout of any codes and report back.

Miguel wrote:

Reply to
Mike Behnke