roosamaster diesel injection pump question

Cant find a diesel newsgroup so this one is the closest. I have an old Army Corps of Engineers 30kw 1800RPM genset with a Hercules DD298ER 6cyl diesel. The set would start up and quit after about 10 secs. Tank was half full of fuel, and after much troubleshooting, cleaning of fuel lines, and replacing the transfer pump, it was found that the vibration of the unit had caused a see through fuel filter housing before the transfer pump to get loose letting in air. This was confirmed by watching the filter empty out and froth with bubbles after an engine start attempt. This was fixed, a fuel pressure gauge installed on the inlet to the high pressure pump and 6psi was measured. The shutoff solenoid on the unit ohms out OK. Some fuel dribbles out the injector ports but not high pressure. I am using offroad diesel no 2 fuel and the RoosaMaster (Stanadyne) pump no is a DBGVCC631-IDZ s/n 490792 mfg no 292511 I have studied diesel books and the manual for the Hercules engine, but this pump is very complicated to figure out. I was under the assumption any air entering the pump should bleed out the return line. There is a bolt on the side of the pump which could be a bleed screw but not sure. I also found out there is another vane pump inside the unit; perhaps this is full of air. I am not sure how to proceed or what to do before I get to the point where I have to tow the unit in to the shop. The pump was rebuilt in Oct 1998 and cost me $400 to fix. The genset has very little time on it; less than

100hours. Can any body help me?
Reply to
desperado