Rusted Bolts.....

Hi all, I have a question that I have been asking myself for many weeks.

If a bolt is stuck in a piece of steel and you were going to apply heat would you apply it to the bolt or the steel area surrounding the bolt to get the bolt loose?

I recently bought a torch set and I don't currently have this problem but I have in the passed removed exhaust bolts (first pipe) with a torch.

Is the basic idea the fact that heat has been applied and the cooling process has expand and contracted to allow the PB,liquid wrench,wd40 to get in the threads and it really does not matter were heat is applied?

Just a question.

Thanks in advance, Chris

Reply to
Chris Gray

JimV

|The torch will quickly burn off the penetrating oil. You want to heat |the area around the bolt if possible, but even the expansion from |general heating will help. | |Chris Gray wrote: |> Hi all, |> I have a question that I have been asking myself for many weeks. |> |> If a bolt is stuck in a piece of steel and you were going to apply |> heat would you apply it to the bolt or the steel area surrounding the |> bolt to get the bolt loose? |> |> I recently bought a torch set and I don't currently have this problem |> but I have in the passed removed exhaust bolts (first pipe) with a |> torch. |> |> Is the basic idea the fact that heat has been applied and the cooling |> process has expand and contracted to allow the PB,liquid wrench,wd40 |> to get in the threads and it really does not matter were heat is |> applied? |> |> Just a question. |> |> Thanks in advance, |> Chris |

Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B